Thursday, July 4, 2024

HAPPY 4th OF JULY

 How are you celebrating our nations birthday this year ?  B-B-Q in the back yard, going out on your boat, shooting off fireworks ?   My holiday is being spent power washing one of the 2 outside patios and reading my newest Stephen King book.  The neighborhood is quiet. All our neighbors are at their "camps" on Round Lake.  I have no idea where Round Lake is but I hear a lot about it.  It seems that when you live in the country and have acres and acres of land you also need to have a camp miles away from your home so you can go relax in the outdoors.  I honestly don't get it but every summer the neighbors disappear for long weekends at their camps.  Of course beer is ALWAYS involved.  

Funny thing how our lives change.  I can't remember the last time I drank a beer or any alcohol for that matter.  Maybe a glass of wine now and then but I'd much rather have a hot fudge Sunday.  Things that used to excite us are now boring or too difficult to do so our definition of "entertainment" totally changes. A quiet day with a nap and a good book far outweigh a hike in the woods or a game of pickle ball. (I have ZERO desire to ever try that silly game, although I still do enjoy a walk in the woods.).

Even better than a walk in the woods is a ride in the woods.  I LOVE driving this little "side-by-side" vehicle around the property but I have yet to venture out on to one of the many trail that criss-cross the UP.  I remember as a kid riding my bike through "The Woods" which was no more than an empty lot next to our house.  We, (the kids who lived on our block),  had made pathways through the brush that were highways for our bikes.  Now we have official trails to ride on and you have to buy a sticker for your vehicle in order to ride the trails.  It's all very official.  Meanwhile the trails are dusty and bumpy which is supposed to add to the "fun" of the ride.  

This morning The Man asked me to help him change around some of his oxygen tanks. The one in the car was empty so that had to be switched out with a full tank.  The tank in the lawnmower wagon was half empty so we swapped that out for a full one and put the half empty one in the car as a back up.  Once the game of musical tanks was completed we  rode down to the garage, The Man on his lawnmower and me on the side by side.   It was time to gas up the vehicles.  Last week we had stopped at the gas station to fill the two gas cans that we keep in the garage for the mower.  I had filled them almost to the top so they were both HEAVY !!  First we filled the mower, then we filled the side by side.  When we were done The Man climbed on his trusty steed and with a hearty "High O Silver" and a HUGE smile he rode off into the field.   

His smile today, as he got onto his mower, made me cry . . .   He is in his happy place riding around on that old lawnmower.  He can't do much else around the farm so this is his time to be outside and doing something that makes him feel needed..  I write a lot about this man that I have lived with for the past 8 years, mostly to complain about how he makes me crazy. But today that smile made me so sad that he has to deal with this lousy COPD.  He never complains even though he has a lot to complain about.  I am blessed to have him in my life. 

So while you are hopefully celebrating the 4th of July at a party, parade or picnic give thanks for this amazing country we live in and give thanks for the good people in your life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment