Monday, May 6, 2024

BACK ON THE FARM

 Made it !  Just arrived at our summer residence and boy are we tired.  I feel like I have jet lag even though we drove all the way.  Usually this trip takes us 4 days and 3 nights.  Because of our age everyone told us to "Take it SLOW. There's no rush. Stop often and drive less each day."  That all sounds wonderful except that when Mario Andretti is driving I have no control over the pace that is set.  

The first day we drove 8 hours.  That's a lot of driving for a couple of old farts but once we get moving there is no stopping The Man.  He drove all 8 hours with only pee stops and gas for the car to break up the drive.  I kept asking him to let me drive but he was bound and determined to do it all himself.  And so when we stopped in Macon, GA for the night I honestly thought I was going to have to call 911 for The Man.  He was exhausted !!!!! DUH  Thankfully the motel we stopped at was one of the old types where you can park in front of your room so The Man didn't have far to walk.  And I didn't have far to carry all the crap we have to travel with.  I have one bag, The Man has 2 concentrators, a huge suitcase, a Bi-pap machine and a suitcase of medications. All of this stuff is necessary but it is a pain to unpack the car to get into the room and then have to put it all back in the car in the morning. Once we got settled  I got The Man something to eat and we were asleep by 7:15 PM.  The Man looked terrible but a good night's sleep did wonders for him.  WE had driven a little over 500 miles.

Next morning we woke at 5:30 AM, having slept like the dead for 10 hours.  (Ten hours of sleep is normal for me but for The Man to sleep that long you know he was tired. ) We were on the road by 7 AM and headed up to Louisville, KY where we planned to stop for the night.  Funny story . . .  No one mentioned that The Kentucky Derby was taking place the next day and every motel, hotel and dog house was booked solid. With no place to stay in the area we continued on another 120 miles to just outside Indianapolis, IN. The Man was still tired from the previous day so he let me drive most of the day.  We found a lovely hotel, had a quick dinner and we asleep by 8:30 PM.  We had driven a little over 600 miles. 

Normally we would have 2 more days of travel but because we had traveled so far the previous day we were only 8 hours from home.  We blew through Indianapolis, Indiana , blasted through Chicago, Illinois and drove right on through Milwaukee and Green Bay Wisconsin and right on up to the UP of Michigan. Only in America can you drive through 4 states in 8 hours.  

And now we are home.   Now begins the summer of not strangling The Man.  When we are in FL The Man is fairly well behaved because we consider the Florida condo to be mine.  My house My rules ! But when we head north the rules change and I am trespassing upon The Man's territory.  I have to keep reminding myself to keep my mouth shut !!  Not an easy task for me.  In the past 2 days I have had to remind myself several times I can not kill The Man. I doubt it is going to get any better. 

 At least there should be a couple of good blogs coming out of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment