Friday, May 10, 2024

HOCKEY SEASON HEART ATTACK

 Some spouses like football, many enjoy a good baseball game and yet others, (the weird ones),  like to sit and watch golf, (which in my opinion is almost as bad a watching tennis), which in turn is like watching paint dry.  

The Man enjoys football but the other sports bore him EXCEPT for hockey.  His sport of choice is always hockey and all else in the world must come to a screeching halt if his Detroit Red Wings are playing.  Sadly the Red Wings are one of those teams who always manage to be ALMOST in the play offs for the Stanley Cup.  The Man will watch them all season, every game, keeping track of their standings. Then sure enough, come March, he watches with bated breath as the Wings fall just short of enough points to make it into the playoffs.  

This year was no different.  We are in the midst of Stanley Cup playoffs and The Man is totally wrapped up in the games.  He has his favorites but they are slowly but surely being weeded out.  Our Florida Panthers and the NY Rangers are still in it so it is exciting to have them to root for.  And this is where the problem arises.

In Florida The Man will watch his hockey games while sitting on the couch and I will escape to the bedroom where I can watch some series on Netflix or wherever. I am a full room away from the cheering section of the sport of choice so it doesn't bother me in the least.  

Now we are in Michigan and things change up here.  There is a living room that I love to sit in but there is no TV in there.  There IS a TV in the kitchen and one in the bedroom.  Neither TV is a Smart TV so there is no watching Netflix or any of the three thousand other venues for endless, mindless TV viewing. If we want to watch cable TV I have to watch it on my computer.   But since hockey is on "regular"TV there is no problem.  

Each night after dinner The Man sits at the kitchen table where he can watch whatever TV he chooses.  Normally I would be out in the living room on my computer or reading but it is still too cold out there so I retire to the bedroom. At some point after I have made myself comfortable The Man will come in and turn on the TV in here to continue watching the hockey games from the comfort of his bed.  I usually take this opportunity to shower and get ready for bed where I will settle in next to the man and play games on my iPad.  

All is well until something happens in the hockey game that causes The Man to shout, "SCORE!!!" or "WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOOOOOOING????"  These outbursts are usually accompanied by him sitting up suddenly or pounding on the bed.  My reaction to all these sudden and unexpected outbursts are to go into cardiac arrest.  He scares the poop out of me !!!!   

As I lie there trying to catch my breath and bring down my heart rate I realize that if I ever did have "The Big One" and dropped dead The Man wouldn't realize it for at least 3-4 hours when the 2 hockey games a night are over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment