Wednesday, May 24, 2017

ALASKA LIFE

I am really enjoying this change of pace life style here in Fairbanks. Although living with Dwayne causes me to forget that I am in Alaska and not living on the equator. For some odd reason this man has the metobolic rate of a dead box turtle. His body temperature remains at minus 300 degrees and he never gains an ounce of weight. Both of these facts are counter productive to me since my body temperature usually runs at about the boiling point of molten lava and I gain weight just looking at food. We are a terrible match ! Yet here we are co habitating Dwaynes son's beautiful home. The weather is great, a perfect 55 degrees for about twenty hours a day. It drops into the 40's for the four hours of darkness and then warms right back up when the sun comes back up. I'm loving this, as are the three dogs. But not frosty the box turtle.  The man travels with a small space heater !  It is always at least 90 degrees in any room Dwayne is residing in and he will be wearing a flannel shirt besides. I, on the other hand, am sitting in my bathing suit dropping ice cubes down my neck.  So we arrive in Fairbanks and I think,"AHHHH, finally, cool weather!"  NOT.  Well, the weather is cool but because it it cool Mr. D is COLD so his loving son builds a fire in the wood stove and the house is now 88 degrees and so dry the Saraha Desert is calling to ask for heat.  I had to buy a vat of baby lotion to keep my skin hydrated because my skin was drying up so much I could no longer bend my knees or fingers.  After living in swamp covered Florida all these years this dry air is just sucking the life out of my skin. I am turning into a petrified mummy being baked alive.  I am  tempted to move out onto the back deck but the pigeon sized mosquitos sort of discourage that. Yesterday it rained and I wanted to strip down to my undies and run around in the yard letting the rain soak into my skin. I now know why the Scandinavian folk enjoy saunas so much. It keeps them warm while hydrating at the same time. Then they run outside and throw themselves into the snow. I know the Man wold take a pass on that part while I'd be out yelling GERONIMO !
But in spite of our differences we are having a great time so far. Good food, good people, good times, good adventures, good sleep, good laughs and good grief would some one open a window and let some of this heat out !

No comments:

Post a Comment