Friday, November 13, 2009

Daughters

I never wanted to have a daughter. My mom and I were always at odds and fought like cats and dogs. So I figured all moms and daughters acted that way. My first child was a boy and for 4 years Kyle was just an adorable and fantastic little guy. (He is still awesome) Life was perfect. Then I got pregnant again and wondered if I could possibly luck out a second time and have another "perfect" kid. In those days there was no such thing as sonograms so the sex of the baby was always a surprise. I went into labor, and the next thing I knew I was staring into the eyes of the most beautiful little baby girl in the world. Keri was all of 15 minutes old when she looked into my eyes and we had an instant connection. All my fears left and I knew we would be the best of friends forever. Even when my third child, Kent, was born I don't remember the instant connection that happened with Kerrin. (Ger says it must have been the drugs) I adore my sons but there is something about a daughter that can't compare. We had a lot of tough times with Keri and her anxieties but she is the most amazing young woman. I came to think that I was lucky to have only had one daughter because I couldn't possibly feel this way about another girl.
And then my sons got married . . . As amazing as these boys of mine are they have found the perfect partners. Their wives, my daughter-in-laws, bring out the absolute best in my sons. And they never blame me for all their husbands faults. We just laugh and chalk it up to the fact that they are men and take after their father.
I couldn't love these girls more if I had given birth to them. These 3 young women in our family are just wonderful. They bring joy and love into the world each and every day. Each of them has chosen a different path in life and each of them excels in what they do. I have been blessed !
I got thinking about this because of Kristen's blog. She is the sweetest thing and deserves better from her family. I know how lucky Kent is to have her as his wife and I know he understands how blessed he is to have found her.
Her birthday is on Sunday and I wish for her a full life of joy, happiness, love, health and babies of her own that she will love as much as we love her.
To my beautiful Bridget, Kyle's wife and Abby's mom. You are amazing and have given this family the a precious gift. You have given Kyle the gift of love which has opened his world. We adore you and are in awe of you and Kyle. You are the most wonderful parents and I see God's Blessings in each of you.
And to my own daughter, Keri . . . the best thing I can wish for you is that you and your daughter have the same relationship that you and I have. Kaelin knows how wonderful you are. I see that in the way the two of you light up when you see each other. Steve is a fantastic dad but mother's and daughters have that special bond that is the greatest blessing of all.
Thank you God for blessing Ger and I all these wonderful young people in our lives. I love you all.

1 comment:

  1. Now you've got me sniffling! :) Thank you for this post. Its beautiful.

    ReplyDelete