Sunday, June 29, 2014

A COBE IN MY NODE

I haven't been "sick" in several years. I have been achy and "old" and cranky but I have not had a cold or flu in probably over 10 years. Not since we moved from New York.  Oh wait, I take that back. There was the year we went to Maryland and I caught the flu and had to fly home wearing a surgical mask because I was soooooooooooo sick.  Remember, that was the time we discovered the trick to getting a complete row of seats ALL to yourself!  So, I stand corrected, it has only been a couple of years since I was sick but it seems like ages ago.  And for sure I did not have my Florida friend Carol in my life to heal me with her Jewish Penicillin.

Last weekend we had Smith up here for our fun and fabulous weekend at the zoo.  He was so much fun in spite of the green boogers that appeared every time we went into the pool.  His sinuses did a great job of holding the snot until they got a little pool water in there to flush them out. Green boogers are never good and they spread their nasty little germs through Smiths body and into mine. My poor little man was home all week feeling really down. His parents took him to the doctor when he fell asleep on the couch. You always know there is something REALLY wrong when your 3 year old boy falls asleep on the couch in the middle of the day while watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles while his sister and brother scream for their bottles. His doctor said it was just a cold, give him so children's Motrin for the fever and ride it out.  He slept a lot and was feeling up to going to camp on Friday.

Grandma made it through the rather sucky week fighting a cold that I actually thought was allergies so I did NOT take any Zicam and then WHAM, got hit with the full fury of the cold on Saturday when I went to the walk-in and got prescriptions for and ear AND sinus infection.  I have been sleep since.

I feel the need to write about this because my Jewish nurse and several other folks have been SHOCKED(!) to hear that I was "still" sleeping at 12:30 PM today. Considering I was awake half the night coughing it really isn't so amazing.  I know I am the queen of sleep and have been know to sleep till noon on many an occasion but these are extenuating circumstances folks.  I BE SICK !  No fooling!  I am putting on and taking off clothes every 20 minutes depending on whether I am freezing or roasting.  The thermostat hasn't been changed this often since we moved in.  I am taking hot baths to warm up and then standing in front of the freezer to cool back down. What ever this germ is it's a doozy. I'm walking around with a box of tissues to wipe the sweat off my forehead while wrapped in my fuzzy pink robe because I am freezing.

BUT . . .  Now that I have a pot the size of a bathtub filled with home made CHICKEN SOUP I am on the mend.  Yesterday when I spoke to friend Carol she was on her way out to shop for the ingredients for the soup. This morning she called to say she was dropping it off and indeed, 15 minutes later there she was with a huge pot, piping hot, wrapped in a towel. She handed it to Ger and disappeared into the mist!  She is like a Jewish Lone Ranger with her husband, Tonto, driving off down the road.
Ger and I immediately sat down and had a huge mug of soup that is TO DIE FOR ! This is the best chicken soup I have ever tasted, right down to the perfectly formed matzo balls. O M G  !!!!!!

I LOVE HAVING JEWISH FRIENDS !!!  Especially when they are such great friends AND such great cooks !

AS for feeling better, I ate the soup, sat up about an hour watching TV with Ger and went back to sleep for another 4 hours.       TIME FOR MORE SOUP !   I still don't feel good, but I think I'm on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment