Sunday, June 20, 2021

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

 I cannot believe that today is the 20th day of June.  Where is the time going ?????  It seems that it was only yesterday that we were celebrating Christmas yet here we are SIX months later.  I just don't understand how a person who is retired and basically has nothing important to do each and every day can have the time pass this quickly. I'm sure if I was in a hospital or a jail cell time would slow down but for now I really want good old Father Time to slow it down a peg. 

I'll tell you just how bad it is these days . . . when I wake up at two in the morning and the house is quiet and still and I can't sleep it has always seemed that the clock is mired down in a mixture of molasses and Elmers glue. I remember those nights when the children were babies and up crying for what seemed hours. On those occasions the hands on the clock NEVER moved.  I would be watching that clock and I swear the minutes slowed down making those nights drag on forever.  Now I wake up in the night, go pee and stagger back to bed and a half hour has passed. 

Today being Father's Day I would like to request that Father Time take a break and let me live my life a bit longer and slower.  As for the other father's in my life I'd like to take a moment and thank them all for the amazing jobs they are doing.  Being a dad isn's easy . . . first and foremost every dad has had to "put up with" the mother of his children. to every dad in the world I extend my deepest sympathy.  For my deceased husband Gerry I would like to apologize for each and every moment that I gave him a hard time. I can also extend that apology to my father who,  God only knows, didn't want to send me to boarding school in Antarctica.  These two men were saints !!!!  I'm not saying they didn't have their faults but they sure as hell had their hands full living with me. 

Today's dads are particularly challenged with a world that has gone insane.  I pray for these dads every day that they can navigate through the insanity and raise their children with strong values. I pray that the dads of today nourish the minds of their children so that these children can think for them selves and not  become sheep following the loudest voice. Dads are gardeners and their children are the gardens. Dads  plant seeds, nourish them with love and by setting good examples and then step back and let their children grow. My sons and son-in-law are doing a wonderful job with their children.  I am so proud of them and so blessed to be here to see the excellent job these three men are doing. I see the effort they put into raising "good" kids and to providing the opportunities for their children to grow into intelligent and compassionate human beings.  

How easy it is to put our wants and desires ahead of our responsibilities. Being a dad requires self sacrifice and if you do it right you don't mind that in the least.  With luck you will live long enough and be healthy enough to have the opportunity to do all those things that you put on hold because you were raising your children. But just be prepared for Father Time to speed up once your children are grown. 

Happy Father's Day !


No comments:

Post a Comment