Friday, November 3, 2023

IT IS TOO COLD

 A quick refresher for anyone who reads my ramblings . . . I am back in South Florida after a WONDERFUL, relaxing, cool and sunny summer in Northern Michigan.  Apparently Florida had one of the hottest summers on record so I was very happy to not be there.  Michigan's summer was PERFECT on all counts.  Sunny days, (it was one of the driest summers in years), the farm always had a cool breeze off the lake so the 80 degree temperatures didn't seem all that hot.

 I KNOW the difference between hot and cold. I am also assuming The Man knows the difference between heat and frost because that is supposedly the reason he wants to be in Florida for the winter. 

When we left Michigan in early October the temperatures were still quite pleasurable. Colder nights but not yet below freezing, cool days but not quite cold enough to break out jackets or sweat shirts.  According to all my contacts in Florida the temperatures in the Sunshine State were cooling off, the humidity was dropping and the ocean breezes had returned. It was a great time to make the journey south. The 4 day trip was excellent, no problems, traffic wasn't too bad with the exception of a few areas of construction. We were fairly relaxed and not too exhausted by the time we arrived, emptied the car and settled in. (Thanks to the assistance of my daughter and 2 grand kids who would make awesome Sherpas for Kent when he leaves for Mt. Everest Base Camp next week. A whole other blog for a future date.) 

So here we are in South Florida and the weather is pretty great.  A little warm in the middle of the day but we are out on the Lanai for breakfast, reading the paper and starting our day.  By 4:00 it is beginning to cool down enough to return to the lanai to do some gardening or reading.  (I can always find something inside or out to keep me busy when we aren't running off to another doctor appointment.) Life is good and we are happy to be in Florida. (Sort of. . . again, another blog for another day.)

Back to it being too cold . . .  Most days I can predict where I will find The Man at any given moment on any given day.   He is a creature of habit and routine . . .boring!  When I get up in the morning I know exactly where he will be. I open the bedroom door and sure enough, there he is sitting at the kitchen counter (the Florida version of the Michigan kitchen table), either reading the paper or checking his email while having a cup of coffee, (only one), and a couple of donuts, (always 2).  He is never sure if or when I will burst forth from the bedroom or if I will offer to make breakfast or not.  (Hell,  I don't know if I'm cooking breakfast until the offer comes out of my mouth.)  Occasionally I might find The Man actually sitting outside on the lanai having his coffee and donuts out there.  But most days he is at the kitchen counter even though the reason we are in Florida for the winter is to be able to be OUTSIDE more !!!!!  On most early mornings the air is still damp and sometimes even steamy. As the sun comes up the air dries out so it is more comfortable to sit outside.  In the afternoon it cools off as the sun moves across the lanai so if it has been a hot day it now becomes much more comfortable to be outside. 

Unless you are The Man. . ..  Last week the heat returned along with higher humidity. It was too steamy to be outside in the morning and too hot to sit out during the day.  The Man stayed inside.   He then puts himself into the mindset that it is too hot so he won't even check outside to see if MAYBE it has cooled down.  In his mind if the sun is shining,  it is HOT.   (Just like in Michigan he assumes it is COLD if there are any clouds in the sky.  It could be 85 degrees but if it isn't sunny then it must be cold. )

One of the days last week I had to go out around noon and it was warm. The Man was inside as expected. When I returned four hours later after sitting inside visiting my cousin, (again, an other blog for another day),  the day had cooled down considerably,  the wind had really picked up and the humidity had dropped so that it was very comfortable and lovely. As I was driving home I called The Man to say I was on my way. I told him how beautiful it was outside and suggested we could have dinner on the lanai because it was so delightful outside. I figured he had not been out of the house all day so this would be the perfect time to get some fresh air.    SILLY ME.    I arrived home to find him inside sitting in front of the TV, (of course watching Fox News).  I came in and asked why he wasn't out sitting on the lanai.  I bet you know exactly what his answer was . . .    Yup . . .   he thought it was TOO COLD !!!  

I didn't even try . . .  I went in and changed my clothes, took my phone and went out onto the lanai. When I sat down I checked my weather app on my phone.  Want to guess what the temperature was ???????

                                                            EIGHTY FOUR DEGREES  !!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else out there think 84 degrees is too cold ?

No comments:

Post a Comment