Saturday, January 6, 2024

A REMINDER

 Every so often we need a reminder of how special we are.   Not bragging or boasting or patting myself on the back for anything but I think we all tend to forget that we ARE special.  Each in our own crazy way. 

I forget that fact often!   Every day starts with our thinking of all the things we have to get done in the next 24 hours.  We get up and jump into the "daily grind". (Well, not so much jump these days but you know what I am saying.).  The day starts, our brains start, our bodies hopefully start, even if they aren't working on all the burners . . . we do start.  And we are off to the rat race of another day.  

Every day brings new adventures and challenges.  Some good, some bad but ALWAYS a challenge.  Taking care of the family, clean the house, shopping, grabbing a mouthful of food as we work our way through the day.  (Usually more than just one mouthful).   Hopefully we take a few moments for ourselves but that is always the last thing we consider.  It's always about the family, friends and home.  

(Of course when you get to be a certain age much of your time is spent "taking care of yourself" but not in the way we would like.  For me taking care of myself would involve a deserted island in the Caribbean complete with a good book and lots of snacks and drinks. That never happens.  The reality of "taking care of ourselves" involves lots and lots of doctor visits.  There is always something going wrong with this old body. Like a 1945 Ford my parts always need repairing and replacing.)

All of this "living" wears us down physically and mentally.   And when I get worn down I forget I am not alone in all of this.  My response to life is to withdraw and climb inside my head. THAT is NOT a good place to be. As the sign by my computer says, "Don't walk a mile in my shoes. Take five seconds inside my head and it will freak you out!"    

It was a wonderful holiday this year but I was exhausted !  January 2 found me ready to die.  My body was hurting and I was feeling lousy.  Even though I slept for almost 12 hours I just couldn't gain any energy.  My stomach was a mess, (thank you Christmas cookies and a truck load of chocolate) My body ached in places I didn't know I had, (Thank you cold and damp weather), and I had a cough and trouble breathing. I was convinced I was ready to croak!   In my head I was running through the list of cancers, viruses, ulcers and any number of other ailments that I KNEW I had contracted.   A visit to my doctor told me otherwise but I still wasn't convinced I was going to make it through the week.  Because I lost my appetite I knew for sure I was heading for being 6 feet under in a matter of days.  

And then I went to play mini golf with a wonderful friend. Theresa is patient with this old lady and she humors me often.  She had stopped by one afternoon and as she was leaving she suggested we go play miniature golf the next day.  And we did !!!!!  We had a great time, laughing the entire time. Just the medicine I needed.  Not a single ache or pain the entire time.  I only started feeling crappy as I approached my home.  That tells you a lot. 

BUT this morning I felt good when I woke up.  (The prednisone the Dr. prescribed is working) I started cleaning out the guest bedroom and I came across a box of greeting cards that people had sent me for birthdays and other occasions.  I decided to go through the box to see just what I had saved.  

It was a reminder !!!!!!!   As I sat here reading these cards from wonderful people in my life it reminded me I am not alone in this journey. But more importantly I am LOVED.  Notes that Mr. Man had written in birthday cards to me reminded me how blessed I am to have this man in my life.   Notes from family reminded me how precious my children and grand children always are. And my friends !!!  WOW !!  

All this is a reminder !  A reminder that I really needed right about now.  Why did I decided to take time to sit and go through these cards today?   Why did I even keep these cards all these years ???  

Why do I forget how Blessed I am ?????? 

No comments:

Post a Comment