Wednesday, January 31, 2024

EIGHTY IS THE NEW ONE HUNDRED

 I am not aging well.  It is becoming increasingly evident that I will not live to be 100.  Nor do I want to if I have to put up with all the parts of my body deciding they ALL want attention.  NOW !!   Good Grief Charlie Brown, when did I get old ???   But it could be worse.

The other night my cousins husband came over for dinner.  His wife, my cousin passed away last May from congestive heart failure.  They were here in Florida for 2 weeks and she looked terrible.  She was horribly swollen and EVERYONE told her to go the the ER.  But being from my mother's side of the family she did not go.  In fact not only did she not go to the doctor down here she flew home to NY and waited a week before she went to her doctor up there.  She was dead 2 weeks later. (That will NEVER be me because I am at some doctor every other week. In fact my GP is offering me a job because I am there so often.)

Back to "cousin" Ken. (Names have been changed)  My cousin was only 75 when she died.  Her husband just turned 80 and he is NOT a happy camper.   The poor guy told us the story of how his wife died and his adventures as a widower. His first major shocker, (which I can't imagine he didn't know all along), was that his now dead wife was a HORDER.  I knew that just from going to thrift shops with her when ever she was in Florida.  Thrift shops were her idea of Heaven.  We never came home empty handed.  

And so last week when her husband arrived at their condo down here he had to go shopping for a POT to boil water in.   There are at least 5 full sets of dishes in the kitchen cabinets but not a single pot to cook in.  (They NEVER at home when in FL so why she needed all those dishes I will never know.).  At their home in NY Ken said he couldn't believe all the crap that was in the house. (Being a man he never noticed?)  He has spent the past 6 months throwing out 95 percent of the stuff in the house and he says it is still cluttered.  

Once the house "cleaning" was done Ken had time to think.  And he decided he is not happy.  Naturally he misses his wife.  With her gone there is no one to tell him what to do.  What and when to eat. Where to drive and how to get places. There is no one there cooking for him, doing laundry, shopping. The poor guy is LOST and alone.  So what does any single male do in this situation?   He joined a dating site.  (I almost squirted soda out my nose when he told us that.  My Man did an excellent job keeping a straight face. )

Now please do not think that I am looking down on dating sites.  There is someone out there for everyone and these places do their best to help you find that special someone.  BUT . . .  I think there may be an expiration date.  Ken shared with us that he was very honest when he filled out his form.  He is in fairly good health, (although when he walked up our path he was very stooped over.)  He loves to play golf, he is single AND he is 80.    Apparently it is the part about being 80 that is a turn off for anyone under the age of 90.  

I told him he was a hot commodity down here and all he has to do is sit by the pool and the women will flock to him like ants on an Oreo cookie.  He told me he wasn't interested in "those" women.  (Because they are all as old as he is?).  He would rather check out the "babes" on the computer with the high hopes of finding someone to share his life.  I REALLY didn't want to burst his bubble but SERIOUSLY GIRLS, Who in their right mind is going to take on an 80 year old man who has been catered to for the past 50 years ??????????   And he doesn't have millions of dollars !   

The Man and I are still talking about our dinner with Ken . . . I feel for the guy but HOLY COW !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment