Thursday, December 3, 2009

Gonna Be a Man

Last Thursday, Thanksgiving, my daughter-in-law, Kristen, and I were in the kitchen cleaning up after the feast. The "BOYS" had taken over the den . . . Kent asleep on the couch and Ger in his recliner half dozing in front of a football game. AND ALL WAS WELL WITH THE WORLD ! Isn't that the way Thanksgiving is always pictured on TV and the magazines? Kristen looked at me and said, "I want to come back as a man". And the two of us burst into laughter. She is so young and already so wise.
Not to put down the guys out there but honestly, what is with you men? You didn't help with the preparation, (Ger hurt his knee so he couldn't stand.) you didn't help with the cleaning, (Ger WAS helping vacuum when he hurt his knee), and now you are not helping with the cleanup. (To be honest, even if he hadn't hurt his knee you and I both know he would not be helping anyway.) Did I miss some fine print in my marriage vows that stated "husband will rest, wife will work"? I know there are men out there who are very involved in their home life. My oldest son is a perfect example of that. He helps make up menus & shopping lists, he helps shop and cook and clean up. He even makes his own lunches to take to work. How did this happen ? He is my son and he knows enough to HELP his wife. Then we have the youngest son. To be fair, he has been working on projects for their newly purchased home but he doesn't cook, clean or shop. What did I do with Kyle that I failed to do with Kent? Or what didn't I do ? (Or maybe it has nothing to do with me . . . I just feel guilty because that's what mothers do.) Is it all about the wives? I know f I tried to be the "perfect" wife when I got married. Wives are supposed to cater to their husbands every whim, aren't they? That's what my mother did, that's what my mother-in-law did so I guessed that was what I was supposed to do. WRONG !! It's too late for me but I swear I taught my daughter better and I am trying to get this message through to Kristen before it is too late. Bridget, (Kyle's wife) is great. She is a strong, no nonsense young woman who is not about to be taken advantage of. YOU GO GIRL ! Kristen is a mini me. I keep telling her to kick Kent's butt and get him involved in EVERYTHING around the house. None of this "man's work & woman's work" shit ! If you live here, you need to get off your ass and help with everything from making the bed to doing the laundry. It was one thing when I was home all the time and Ger was working 2 jobs . . . WHAT ! . . . that is a crock of poopie ! I was home with 3 kids, running to school, doctors, grocery stores, post office, and numerous soccer and baseball games. But I bought into the lie because I was stupid. DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE ! A family is only as strong as the team that makes it a family and you remember that old saying;
TEAM DOESN'T HAVE AN 'I' IN IT".
Come on Kristen, You can do it . . . be a MAN !

2 comments:

  1. This is hysterical, Mrs. Cath! I needed a good laugh! BE A MAN, Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Cath you make me laugh. Thank you! Ha ha ha ha! This is fabulous. And you are so right. I'm trying! Baby steps. He has done the dishes the past three nights without me even asking. Maybe we're getting somewhere? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete