Thursday, December 31, 2009

Worse Than A Dead Dog

Several years ago my dog died. I was away on vacation and the girl who was "dog sitting" called my best friend, Sharon, to inform her that the dog was dead. Sharon called me in Florida to give me the news. She then did something that I thought was the most thoughtful thing anyone had ever done for me. Sharon went to my house and, (after disposing of the dog), picked up all of the dog toys, dishes, bowls, bones and bedding and took them to her house. She did this so I wouldn't have to come home to the empty house and see these things that reminded me of my pet.

Tonight I came back from Ft. Lauderdale and visiting Kent and Kristen and walked into a house filled with toys that are left from my 2 little grand daughters visiting. Kaelin flew home this afternoon with her mom and dad and Abby is leaving tomorrow. It is far worse than after my dog died. Here are all the toys that Kaelin and I played with over the past 10 days. The blocks that we gave her for Christmas that caused so many high pitched screeches as they came crashing to the floor. The baby dolls and stroller that were scattered through the house waiting for the next tea party to begin. The endless Minnie Mouse marathons on the DVD player. A ball pit, shopping basket, mini kitchen set, hot wheel cars and track, books and puzzles. They are all here with no one to play with them. I am sitting her sobbing and wishing Christmas could go on forever but only if it is shared with a 2 and a 5 year old. This was the best Christmas yet and I can't imagine how I will survive the next month or so till I see these little ones again. I know that in a day or two things will return to "normal" for us and we will be "back in our routine" but for the time being I feel like my life has been emptied of all joy and happiness because these 2 little girls have returned home. This is so much worse than when the dog died but the good thing is,
I will see the girls again and I will be so busy putting all these toys away that I probably won't miss them for long.
Happy New Year to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment