Saturday, February 27, 2010

April 15th is Coming soon

Want to guess how I spent my WHOLE day today? Think of tooth aches, ingrown toe nails, hemorrhoids and ear infections and that is about how pleasant my afternoon was. It is that time of the year to pull together all the information I can and spend the week working on our income tax. You would think this would be so simple, now that we are retired, and I guess it is getting easier each year as I get a bit smarter, but OH MY Goodness, a whole day ?
Since we are retired I have this stupid idea that I have TIME to do all the things that we used to have someone else do for us. I bought myself TURBO TAX, saved every receipt and paper and sales slip and donation receipt for the entire year. It took me 2 days to sort through that mess after dumping it out on the dinning room table. Once all that was in order and all the tax forms had come in from our banks and retirement funds we were ready to go. In the past we have taken this mess and dumped it on the desk in front of our TAX GUY. He would whip through it in a matter of seconds, tapping away on his adding machine/computer and within a matter of minutes we would sign the forms, give him a check for a couple of hundred dollars and everyone was happy. Since we retired our tax return isn't enough to cover the tax guy's bill so I figured we would do this ourselves. Ger, being the great guy that he is, agreed because he knew full well that I would be the one doing the taxes, gathering the information and sorting through the mess. He deftly signs his name when the finished product is put in front of him.
But today was different. I sucked him into the mess. There sat my Ger, in command central with me, shuffling through papers and giving me the information needed. We actually did have an almost good time and it really wasn't as painful as years past. To celebrate breaking the $200 mark for a refund, we went out to dinner. And the best part is . . . I don't have to think about this again for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment