Thursday, February 4, 2010

Ger And The Cell Phone

It is better than a Seinfeld comedy routine. My husband and his cell phone are a sight to behold. He really needs 2 tin cans and a string but wants to be "One of the Guys" and have a cell phone. I made the mistake of not having him get the "IDIOT'S DELIGHT" that I bought for myself. It is small, yet large enough for me to find in my purse. The key pad is BIG, as is the screen. so not only can I see the keys I am hitting, I can read messages that are sent. But we got a smaller phone for Ger cause he didn't like it taking up a lot of room in his pocket. (Perhaps if he lost the set of 42 keys that he carries he would have room for a phone.) So now he has a phone that he uses to tell time. He has stopped wearing a watch since we moved to FL (possibly the watch was keeping him from getting skin cancer on his ENTIRE body. That little patch of paler skin on his wrist needed to see the sun?), so without a watch we need to dig in our pockets to find the cell phone to see what time it is. But on the VERY rare occasions that his phone should ring we have a ritual . . . "RING . . . RING . . . RING . . . RING . . . RING . . ."
Cath says, "Ger, your phone is ringing" Ger, "What?" (repeat this 3 or 4 times before he realizes his phone is ringing by which time the person has hung up.) OR Ger says, "Some one's phone is ringing." Cath, "Its yours, answer it." Ger, "What?" (Repeat 2 or 3 times . . . Fumble, fumble, fumble, try to find phone by which time the person has hung up.) Now it really gets interesting. Ger cannot retrieve his voice mail. Cannot, will not, don't know, but if you leave a voice message he isn't going to get it. Text messages are another story. Ger can retrieve text messages, he just can't answer them. It is so sad !
This whole blog got started because we just went through 10 minutes of Ger trying to call his brother Joseph, who seems to be as phone challenged as Ger. Ger dialed, left a voice mail but didn't close his phone so when it rang (Joseph calling back) he was totally unnerved as to how to answer it. Then Joe called again but on my phone. (I refused to answer cause this was just too good to not let it play out.) Ger tried to call Joe again but the line was busy, Joe called Ger but Ger's line was busy. I swear to you, it took the 2 of them 10 minutes to finally get to talk to each other. And it gave me lots to share on my blog.
Husband is definitely technology challenged but this was just too funny! Anybody got some empty soup cans and some string?

1 comment:

  1. Cell phones - how I hate them! I carry one around - but NEVER turn it on, unless I need to make a call or am expecting one. (I do love my ring tone though, but I never get to hear it!) - Texting? I had Verizon turn off that feature. I can't text, and I don't want to receive any. Voice mail? Don't bother. I never check it, although I do know how to. However, cells do come in handy in an emergency, i.e. when a man can't find his wife in the mall.
    Ger, can you hear me now?

    Hard to believe I am my mother's daughter. For her sake, I sure hope there are cell phones in heaven, because she never had that opportunity while on earth. Ah, how she loved to talk on the telephone. Anyone, any time, even a wrong number. And hers wasn’t cordless! But that stretched-out cord allowed her to multitask well before anyone ever heard of “multitasking.” I can just imagine her today with one of those phones attached to her ear while she drove to the supermarket, and while she shopped, and then when she came home to make dinner. Busy signal? Voice mail? How would she deal with that? With pleasure!

    Not sure how she'd feel about texting though, since she was a perfectionist whenever she wrote anything. So the current fad of abbreviations would cause her to cringe at the murder of the English language. Talking was definitely her favorite mode of communication.

    Now email, for me that’s the way to go. So easy to sit down, compose one’s thoughts, write and revise, and then send a message, any time of day or night w/o the fear of disturbing anyone. The fact that some cell phones, like my son’s, allow him to receive (and reply to) my emails on his cell phone affords us the best of both worlds.

    Who knows what’s next?

    ReplyDelete