Saturday, June 15, 2013

LEARNING NEW TRICKS

I have finally hit on something that is helping me to heal. I am learning new ways to handle life and it seems to be working.
Yesterday was a recipe for disaster. At any other point of my life Husband would be dead in the driveway and I would be in jail for murder. The poor man was just all over the place with his brain and after 4 trips back into the house to get different things he got into the car and yelled at me to get going because I was checking my cell phone for directions.

You know me . . .  That could have been a recipe for a weeks worth of me being angry. OR, a possible explosion from me with the end result of Ger being thrown out of the car.  OR me just turning off the car, telling H to go F himself and that would have been it for the trip and a day of visiting. All three scenarios went through my mind but I settled on what I have been learning these past 2 weeks . . .

"WHAT HAPPENS IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS HOW YOU REACT TO WHAT HAPPENS"
                            Thaddeus Golas

That about says it all.  We can apply those words to just about every thing in our lives. It wasn't easy to remember that when H got all pissy because he was feeling dumb but I did manage it and we had a lovely day.
Today too was a better than good day. A true Florida Summer Day, HOT, sunny and wonderful. Ger tried to do some power washing on the patio and he did great. Too hot to do too much but he felt good being out there doing something. H gets frustrated that he is not strong enough to do all that he could before his cancer journey but he gets a little stronger each day.
And then it was time for mass so we pulled ourselves together and headed out of the house and down our road. Just before the gate there was a big, old, moss covered turtle walking across the road. I asked H if I could stop to pick it up and put it in the grass on the other side of the road. Rather than the usual response of, "It's a dirty old thing, leave it alone and it will make it on it's own", Ger actually said,"Sure, stop if you want to.".  And I did and hopefully Mr. Turtle is now happily making his way to the pond.

I wonder if this means that H will some day let me get a dog?

No comments:

Post a Comment