Thursday, June 6, 2013

TORNADO WARNING

It was a crazy day.  The phone rang at 7:25 this morning and we knew it couldn't be anyone who knew us because we just do not DO mornings. When I heard my daughter-in-law's voice my first thought was that something had to be wrong. And something was . . .  Kristen was at home getting ready for work with the TV on in the background when she heard there were tornado warnings for Palm Beach County.  She called to let us know we had a 50/50 chance of being blown away.
Not one to panic I calmly turned on the bedroom TV and went back to bed. By now H was awake and all set for a marathon day of storm watching.  I dozed off once I realized we were clear of the path of the storms and I let the pouring rain and pounding wind lull me back to sleep for another hour.
Hurricane season started 6 days ago and it seems like it is going to be an active season. The very first named tropical storm had formed in the Gulf of Mexico early last weekend and she has been dumping rain on us for days!  It's the rainy season so what do you expect?
But the storm wasn't the only thing spinning in circles today. Poor old "Chemo Brain" husband just was totally out to lunch today. He couldn't get his act together to save his life. H had an afternoon doctor check up that he has known about for 3 months. He did remember to go get his blood work done early this week so the doctor would have it there for the appointment. But that was about all he managed. Naturally the TV was on since early morning and even though Fox News does not report on local weather that was what H was watching. A half hour before we had to leave I told H I was getting ready to go so if he wanted to shower I would be out of the way shortly.
As I stood by the front door a half hour late the TV was still blasting and H was running around like the proverbial chicken with it's head cut off. He left the house 3 times and 3 times had to go back in for something. As I waited at the door when we first started out the TV was still on and H was heading for the bathroom. When he came out of the bedroom he handed me a pad of paper and a pencil and asked me to WRITE DOWN HIS MEDICATIONS. (Key word here being "HIS")  I looked at him like he was insane and calmly explained that we had to LEAVE NOW and hadn't I done this for him at least 2 other times? In fact, hadn't I printed them out from the computer and given him a copy for his note book? There went another 5 minutes as H searched his dresser and mess by his chair. No luck there so I took the pad and asked him to just get in the car. (Those of you with children may find this whole scene quite familiar. Sad that I am playing it out with a grown man!) As I mentioned before it took H 3 tries to get into the car. Trip one back into the house was to get his water. Trip two was to get his medicine that he wanted to take, (Hello, why didn't you take it some time in the past 7 hours that you have been sitting in front of the TV?), and trip three was to get his paperwork that he needed for the doctor. As I was pulling out of the drive way for the FOURTH time H remembered his hat but I just kept going! There are 3 hats in the back of the car along with 2 jackets for all the times when we get on the road and H remembers he didn't bring a hat or jacket!
By the time we got to the doctor's office I needed a Valium or a shot gun! I sort of wished that tornado HAD blown me away this morning. It would have been faster and a lot less painful!

No comments:

Post a Comment