Saturday, November 16, 2013

WHATS HAPPENIN' ?

So . . .  we are back from a week in Maryland with Finn and Kaelin and boy does my body hurt !  We babysat the kids while Keri and Steve were in Jersey for 4 days along with their 5,500 new best friends listening to Tony Robbins speak.  They returned all fired up and Ger and I collapsed on the floor.  It was a great 4 days for all in spite of the fact that Finn had a horrific cold and grandma lost her cool in the middle of Bob Evans. But that was another story.

Now we are home and the race for Thanksgiving and Christmas is upon us.  Did you realize Christmas is only 5 weeks away ????????   I was doing fine till I took time to count the days. But I am determined to remain cool and not let these tired old bones just collapse under me.
I dug out the three thousand Christmas cards that have been arriving at our house from various religious groups since this past May. Can you believe these places think that if they send me Christmas cards in May I will actually know where they are in December ? The cards have been tossed into the garage in the general direction of my desk. Yesterday I went out and swept them all together and went through them last night. Keepers, give aways and trash. Now that that is done I have to start writing them so they can be sent off before New Years. That means I have to sit down and write THE CHRISTMAS LETTER. That would be the one that you get in our card, read once and toss in the trash. But it's tradition so you're not getting off without one. Also included on the TO DO list is finding a CHRISTMAS PHOTO. Can I use the one we had from last year? I don't remember all of us being together at one time this past year and if we were no one got a photo of it. I might just put in a blank piece of paper and ask everyone to draw their own version of what they think we all look like. I would be easy to draw, round circle, grey hair . . . done.  Ger would be stick figure with a bald head on top, sort of like a lollipop.  The kids and grand kids change daily so that's that for pictures.

I made big progress today in finally emptying my suitcase and storing it away as we have no plans of going any where till after the new year.  Now I have to get working on the guest room for Roman and Kyle who will arrive a week from today for the Thanksgiving week. That involves moving all the Christmas gifts from that room and hiding them some where else. Speaking of Christmas gifts, I have a bunch of things that I picked up along the year but now have to figure out who gets what. Naturally the things that I bought for Smith last July are no long of any interest to him. Then we have to consider the mailing of the gifts which means I will shop on line, have things sent directly to the grand kids and still have a closet full of things that I bought this past year. What was I thinking?

WE met out new neighbors today. Our 96 year old neighbor, Sarah, passed away a couple of months ago and her house was snatched up and sold in a day. The new folks are former New Yorkers, Brooklyn no less, moved to Baltimore and now to Florida. They are 10 years younger so Ger and I no longer qualify as "THE NEW FOLKS ON THE BLOCK". Our neighborhood is changing with all the original owners dying off and younger retirees moving in. The houses are being gutted and rebuilt making our value go up but also making me want to renovate some things. And that just isn't happening. I'm lucky I can get Ger to buy toilet paper, never mind a whole new bathroom.

Ger has been behaving himself these days. Maryland exhausted him so I'm letting him rest up. He keeps me on my toes because I never know what he will do next. There's never a dull moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment