Saturday, June 13, 2015

BACKA PACK

Hi, it's me, Cath, the geriatric version of Dora the Explorer. You do remember Dora don't you?
When Abby, our first born grand child was born she was a huge fan of Dora and her adventures. For Abby's first birthday her parents got her an official "Dora the Explorer" back pack. There was little Abby toddling around with her BACKA PACKA on her back ready for what ever adventures came her way. The back pack came with MAPPA and compass and maybe binoculars so Abby would be prepared for all her adventures. Now Grand ma is the one with a back pack filled with who know what and I'm off having my own adventures.
I've always been a fan of back packs. It's so convenient to have EVERYTHING I need strapped on my back leaving me totally hands free to drink coffee and eat a bagel as I wander through the air port looking for my gate. Pocket books are lovely but digging through a purse trying to find my boarding pass and drivers license at every security check is a pain. Forget putting these things in my pockets as most pockets are for show and not for stuffing things. And anyway, you now have to empty your pockets to go through security so the stuff has to go some where.
In comes BACKA PACKA ! The handy dandy carry all with pockets all over the place!  (Sort of like parachute pants but without looking like you just came out of basic training.) There's a pocket for my cell phone, a pocket for my wallet, a pocket for tissues, a pocket with a clip for my car keys and a pocket for the boarding pass, ID and credit card. I'm like Katie Kangaroo on speed !
The world of fashion is finally getting savvy to travelers like me who want to look fashionable while traveling. There are all sorts of really jazzy back packs on the market these days ranging from Vera Bradley prints to gold sequins. There is something for everyone!
And this leads us to my question . . .  Why do men insist on slinging their back packs over ONE shoulder instead of putting both arms in to the straps like a BACK pack is intended to be worn? It is, after all, called a BACK PACK, not a shoulder pack. I took a survey at the two airports I have been at these past 2 weeks and I only saw one guy wearing his pack on his back. ALL the rest had packs hanging off one shoulder. Husband used to do this and I was forever asking him WHY? ! I never did get an answer that made sense. He was always grabbing at his pack as it slid down his arm and then pissing about the "Damn Pack". I would try suggesting he wear it ON HIS BACK as it was intended but he would just complain some more and sling it back up on his one shoulder. Wearing it this way it would smack people as we passed them giving rise to a lot more grumbling. He would get so frustrated that he decided he didn't need a back pack. And that is how my back pack doubled in weight. Husband thought nothing of asking me to hold his book, his keys, his water bottle, (that he NEVER drank out of but insisted on carrying), his newspaper, his wallet, his sun glasses, his jacket  and anything else that he decided to bring.
I couldn't believe how light my pack is this trip as I travel alone !

No comments:

Post a Comment