Saturday, January 2, 2016

MUSICAL BEDS

Husband used to joke about never knowing who's bed he would find me in each morning. Meaning that at some point of the night I would wander from our bed into one of the kids rooms or into the living room or den. Most times it was out of necessity when one of the kids "needed" something that required a parent to spend time with them at some unGodly hour of the morning and since Husband never ever got up for anything or anyone during the night it was always me who was the wander. (Husband's excuses ranged from, "I have to get up for work" to "They really want their mother" and "I don't know what they want and you do it so much better". Many I night I spent on the floor next to a child's bed waking every time they moaned only to pat their back and encourage them to go back to sleep. But there were those nights that I just needed some space and would escape to the couch for some alone time.

Now a days I play musical beds with my grand kids ! For the past 2 weeks I have been blessed to spend time with ALL the grand kids.  First with a 5 day cruise with Abby and Roman and their parents, then Christmas with Abby, Roman and their cousins Smith, Wynn and Grey and all the parents. Between naps and quiet time Abby and I snuggled and shared a room, Smith,Wynn and Grey have used my room for TV movie watching and naps and quiet time on the iPad. Then Kaelin and Finn arrived from Maryland when Abby and Roman went home and grand ma's bed continued to be the gathering place of the cousins.  Whenever some one went missing we would check grand ma's bed first and sure enough there would be 2 or 3 kids, under the covers watching a movie or playing games on their iPads. The twins only used the bed room for naps and that was in the pack and plays that were set up at the end of my bed.

I love that my room is so welcoming and comfortable but I did have to change the sheets tonight after everyone went home to rid myself of the pop corn, Pirates Booty (A kid snack for all you old folks who don't know about these things and might be thinking I meant something else.), cereal and at least forty two tissues from Kaelin who has allergies that cause her nose to run constantly. There were also a couple of wet bathing suits, a wet diaper, a bunch of drinking glasses that were mostly empty and a pair of Wynn or Grey's shorts.  And that was only in my bed ! Can you imagine what the rest of the house looks like ??????

And so here I am at nearly 3 AM still awake in spite of being up at 7AM the past couple of morning because I was sharing a bed with early bird Kaelin. (She complained of my snoring but she moans in her sleep!) I think I'm still awake because there is no one here for the first time in 2 weeks and the house is quiet and I know I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn because tomorrow is a "day off". Aside from the 14 loads of wash, cleaning every room in the house, putting all the Christmas decorations away and catching up on bills I have nothing to do !  My life is so dull !  But at least tonight I will sleep in my own bed and not have to listen for anyone calling my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment