Tuesday, June 13, 2017

HEAT WAVE ALASKA STYLE

At the moment, at 9:44 in the morning, it is 45 degrees. It doesn't feel like the NY forty five degrees that I was used to for most of my life where it was cold and wet and grey and nasty. And that was in the spring.  It would be even colder if it was Autumn.  Florida at 45 degrees requires full snow gear complete with fur coats, wool hats, fur lined boots, two layers of gloves, scarves and possibly muckalucks. (Although I still don't know what they are.) Alaska at 45 degrees calls for shorts and a tee shirt!
That is exactly what R was wearing when we left the house today to run some errands. R arrived here last night around midnight from Michigan to visit her mom so I guess 45 is warm to her. I, on the other hand am dressed in jeans and a sweat shirt.  But once we got into town the locals were out and about in their shorts and tank tops so I guess we are having a heat wave for sure. The fact that it was 95 degrees last week and was really really hot makes me wonder how these same folks can find a 50 degree difference still calling for the same wardrobe choice? Maybe they just don't have any in-between clothes?  It's either full snow gear or total strip down ? Or maybe they are just so freaking tired of piling on and pealing off layers that once they get down to that final bottom layer they just refuse to put another layer back on until next winter.  What ever the reason these folks are hearty people or totally nuts.
Last week we had three days of unusually hot weather that now seems to have found its way across the country and is baking everyone to a crisp.  I can't say I miss it.  No matter where you live 95 is HOT and I do NOT enjoy that kind of heat. Checking today's weather for the nation it was cooler in Key West at 80 degrees than in New York where it was 92.
That's just plain silly !

No comments:

Post a Comment