Wednesday, July 26, 2017

JUST SAY "YES"

I was born in the "40's", grew up in the "50's and partied through the "60's".  We grew up with Smokey the Bear telling us, "Only YOU can prevent forest fires" and the "Litter Bug" telling us not to throw our trash out the window of the car or drop it on the sidewalk while sidewalks still existed. There was "Speedy" Alka Seltzer singing to us in his silly hat and tights and several other simplistic characters telling us simple things that the simple world of that time needed to be reminded of.
There were no big ad campaigns for "DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE", "DON'T DO DRUGS",  or "JUST SAY NO" !   Hell, if there had been the sixties never would had happened !
It was a much less complicated time and we didn't need so many reminders of so many basic things that should be common sense. Or are they? I guess when the roads weren't so crowded and the cars weren't so fast and powerful it really didn't matter if we had a few drinks and then drove those couple of blocks home. But in this insane world you really are endangering your life and the lives of those around you,  So YES I do agree whole heartedly with that ad campaign. To that we can now add,

HELLO ALL YOU IDIOTS WHO ARE TOTAL "A HOLES" :
                        DO NOT             TEXT            AND DRIVE    !!!!!!!!!!!!
This is totally off point but seriously people, and I know I am preaching to the choir here, but REALLY? You are driving and TEXTING?         OMG !!!!      Every day I see this.  On the highway!
If you are a moron and want to kill yourself that is fine with me but don't take me out with you. I already am doing a fine job of killing myself slowly with stress, the continued lack of sleep and over abundance of food. I don't need some idiot on a phone to take me out!

Now back to our blog . . .
As I was saying before I so rudely interrupted myself, which actually plays right into the point of this whole blog in the first place, JUST SAY "YES" to drugs. So much for that failed ad campaign. I guess when the genius who came up with "JUST SAY NO" first threw that out on the table everyone cheered and clapped their hands and said how simple and perfect that is. Too bad it isn't that simple or perfect. Back to the issue of mental health here. . .  finding the RIGHT drug isn't easy and so you are very tempted to not take any drug and/or go to your local dealer, if you are fortunate enough to have one, and get something that makes you feel so good that you forget you have a mental problem. You also forget you have a home and a family and a life. Or so I am told. (This is NOT what is going on in my life right now folks.  I don't have any drug problems with myself or any of my family members. I'm just making a point.) The point being there are lots and lots of "good" drugs for ALL our mental problems but finding the right one is a crap shoot. I have been on an anti-depressant for years. Being the genius that I am I decided, and here is the genius part, right before I left for Alaska, which is over three thousand miles away from my doctor, that I would CHANGE my medication. Don't ask! There were lots of reasons factored into this decision which I will not share with you right now. I had had several conversations with my doctor in the past about the possibility of making this change and we had on all these previous occasions decided to stick with what I was on. Or "just say NO" to change but that is not me and so days before I left for this journey I made the decision to switch medications.
Sometimes you shouldn't fix something that ain't broke. That should be an ad campaign. I'll be going back to the doctor next week to see what I can do to get back on my old medication or maybe try something different because this was one time that I should have just said "no" and not upset the apple cart.

Who comes up with these sayings anyway ?

No comments:

Post a Comment