Saturday, September 14, 2019

"PARTY TIME" MICHIGAN STYLE

I do love a good party.  Give me just about any reason to celebrate and I'm mixing up the dip and chilling the beer and wine before we even set a date and time. The very BEST parties ever were when I was teaching and we got a "snow day". There is nothing better than waking up to the phone ringing at 5 AM to tell you school is cancelled  Well, actually there is one thing better and that was when school was cancelled the night before so we could stay up all night and party.

Even when my kids were growing up and they had a snow day it was cause for a gathering of the neighbors. The snow was NEVER too deep for us to get across the street or down the block to either Jeanne or Sharon's so the kids could get together to play in the snow and the grown-ups had an excuse to drink at 10 in the morning. There was always hot chocolate with marshmallows for the kids and something with "anti freeze" in it for the adults. The day would fly by with occasional forays into the snow with the kids but mostly we just stayed in doors and enjoyed the FREE day.

In the summer when there was no chance of a snow day we would have impromptu lobster parties in someones back yard with all the kids running around like banshees and the parents sitting around the picnic table pigging out on lobster, (or burgers and dogs if our budgets wouldn't allow lobster), and drinking endless amounts of beer. (Or in Sharon's case Bourbon and Jeanne's wine.)

There is still nothing like getting together with my two best friends and killing an entire day laughing.

Today I am in Michigan and as I sit here writing there is a "party" going on out in the kitchen and I am not taking part in it. I AM sitting here in the parlor with a large glass of Jim Beam and Coke while Dwayne and one of his neighbors and the man's son sit around the kitchen table on those lovely naugahyde chairs drinking water and nibbling on chips and bean dip. (I have NEVER served bean dip in my entire life of partying nor will I ever.) This apparently is how Michigan men "party" when waiting for the deer to appear during hunting season. No beer will be served until a deer is shot or until the men give up waiting.

This weekend is a special permit weekend for "kids" to hunt deer. Slim. Dwayne's neighbor who is anything but slim, has brought his son over to shoot a deer. Normally on any given afternoon there are all sorts of critters munching on corn and other goodies that D puts out for them every day. There have been afternoons and evenings when there are up to 15 deer standing around between the back of the house and the barn. Tonight there are NONE !!  Last night there also were none and I am laughing myself silly at the idea that the deer actually know it is hunting season and so they wait till 2 AM to show up to eat. Last night we went to bed around 10 and there wasn't a single deer to be seen. I got up at 3 AM to pee and there they were, happy as pigs munching away at the corn we had put out the previous afternoon.

I personally don't find this sort of event to be party material but the 3 guys have their chips and dip and seem to be finding enough to chat about to pass the afternoon. It has been two hours now and still not a single animal has shown its nose outside the house. There are a couple of mourning doves sitting up on the roof of the barn and if I'm not mistaken they are laughing at "The boys" in the kitchen.

I was given the option of going over to Slim's house for the afternoon/evening so I wouldn't have to witness the massacre but I chose to hang out here and just chillax with reading and writing. I think I"m having a much better time sitting out here in the comfy chair with my drink.

 If by some wild turn of events the deer actually show up I will turn my back to the window and continue to party on my own but I really don't see that happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment