Friday, September 13, 2019

THE COMFY CHAIR

No matter who's house you go in to there will always be at least one Comfy Chair that is the favorite spot for that homeowner. It's usually in the living room facing the TV but it could be in a bedroom or den, sun room or porch. In the case of Dwayne's house my comfy chair is out in the beautiful parlor room. The chair is a big old dark green or blue, (I really can't tell), leather chair that has probably been in this room for ages. It faces a big glass sliding door that overlooks the back of the house. I love this room and this chair and try to relax out here as often as possible without making Dwayne feel like I am ignoring him. The room is at the far end of the house and is always kept closed off with beautiful French doors. When I am out here there is no sound or distraction and because it is kept closed up it is always cool even when D has the heat turned up to 90 in the rest of the house.

Dwayne's favorite chair is the total opposite of mine. His chair sits in the kitchen at the square metal kitchen table. It faces the kitchen stove so he can watch all that transpires in his tiny kitchen space. (NOTHING ever transpires in the kitchen!) When sitting on this 1950's style metal frame and red plastic cushioned chair D can see the TV on the wall to his left and he can view all the wild life that visit his yard outside the glass doors to his right. When I get up in the morning the man is sitting on HIS CHAIR with a cup of coffee watching the Bald Eagles landing on the barn or next to the pond. As soon as we stop doing what ever running for the day D sets himself down in his chair with a can of beer  to watch all the deer that visit his yard until it is time for bed. (With all the drinking of coffee and beer that goes on in this chair it should be a potty chair.) This part of the house is rather small with a bathroom, tiny kitchen and 2 bedrooms. There is a dining room space between the kitchen and my parlor but that is filled with furniture that is never used. Dwayne's comfy chair really does date back to the 50's and it probably has seen it's share of butts. I am told by D's grand daughter who lived here for a couple of years back around 2004  that Dwayne and his wife never left the kitchen table in the evenings. Sitting at the table watching TV was a nightly ritual. They NEVER sat in this lovely parlor in this comfy chair. This parlor room also houses a big matching leather couch that looks to be in great shape until you sit on it. As soon as you start to sit you find yourself sinking down to about three inches off the floor. Apparently the springs or cushions are so worn down that there is no support at all. Which is something I find hard to imagine since no one ever comes out into this room except me.

Back in Florida I have my electric recliner that I guess I would consider my Florida comfy chair even though it really isn't that great but because it reclines and vibrates all at the touch of a button it fits the criteria for comfort.

I suppose comfort is all in the eyes of the beholder. I find the kitchen chairs in Michigan to be total and complete torture if I sit on them for more than about 20 minutes but D lives in his chair and seems to have no trouble staying there for hours on end. And he doesn't have half the padding that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment