Friday, May 26, 2023

TIME TRAVEL

 Back to my trip to Atlanta  .  .  .  Which is something akin to "Back To The Future".  

One of the many unique things about the UP here in the great northern reaches of the state of Michigan is the fact that not only is the peninsula not actually attached to the state of Michigan but IS attached to the state of Wisconsin, but this great mass of land is cut down the center from North to South by a time zone. Half the peninsula is on Eastern Standard time and half of it is on Central time.  This always proves interesting when someone from Iron Mountain calls and says they will see us at 10:00. We then have to decide if they mean 10:00 OUR time or 10:00 THEIR time.  This thought only occurs to us after we have hung up the phone. Fortunately our time is ahead of their time so if we prepare for the call at 10 our time and no one calls we now know they meant their time so we just wait the hour for their call. It is also fun when we have an 11:00 appointment in Iron Mountain, which is an hour away,  but don't leave our house till 11:00.

The difficult part for me was trying to figure out just how much time I REALLY had for a lay-over between Minneapolis and Atlanta.  You see I left Escanaba at 10:42 AM and arrived at Iron Mountain at 10:15 AM.  (Having experienced going back in time.) We arrived at Minneapolis at 11:30, only one hour from when I left Escanaba even though I had been flying for two hours.  

It is at this point that my brain starts to hurt.

I am now in Minneapolis ready for my 2 hour flight that takes off at 1:30 PM yet arrives at Atlanta at 4:45PM three hours after I left.  

Is your brain starting to hurt yet? 

The trip home is more of the same confusion of times just in the reverse.  But none of this matters because I get there when I get there and The Man is at the airport to pick me up. Even though he apparently can not tell time.  His lack of being able to tell time did work in my favor last night when my plane arrived in Escanaba a half hour early. BUT . . . it did not work for me this morning when I asked The Man to wake me at 9:00 AM.  Fortunately I had woken up by myself at 8:00 so I was awake when he came into the bedroom at 8:15 to wake me.  FOURTY FIVE MINUTES BEFORE I ASKED HIM TO WAKE ME !!

This is not uncommon for the poor man.  He will tell me we will leave the house at a particular time and sure enough 45 minutes before we are "due" to leave he has his jacket on, car keys in his hand and is standing at the door ready to go.  DRIVES ME NUTS !!!!  

But you know I don't play that game. As he is standing at the door I will come into the room with the surprised look on my face while asking, "Oh My !  Am I late? Is it time to go already???"  Works every time.  He then has to come up with reasons why he is standing there like a cigar store Indian,                   (A reference our younger generation will not get.)  There is a lot of scrambling for why he is ready even though he had told me we would leave later and a litany of reasons why we really should get going earlier.  None of which make much sense to me.  

As a result of all this I no longer wear a watch. I just follow the crowd and get there when I get there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment