Friday, October 16, 2009

Is This Really News ?

Before I get to boring you with where I have been for the past - - - days I have a question. It all started when I got up this morning to the usual drone of the 24 hour news channel on the TV. Ger is addicted to FOX News as many of you well know and as soon as he climbs out of bed the TV goes on and he is ready for his day. (News TV has been banned from the bedroom)
So, I stepped into the TV room to say good morning to my hubby only to catch a glimpse of the HEADLINE NEWS ALERT "BOY THROWS UP ON NATIONAL TV" I kid you not . . . that is EXACTLY what was flashing across the TV screen as the reporter was going into the story of how the kid who was supposedly swept away in the weather balloon on 10/15 (which was the extent of the EXCITING news for yesterday and which husband was glued to the TV for hours following the story.) So now today there is apparently nothing more interesting than the fact that this kid threw up on TV while being interviewed.
H E L L OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO out there. Is this not seeming totally ridiculous to anyone but me? I mean, seriously, W.T.F. ??????????
People, people, people wake up and take a good look at what we are spending more than half our lives getting involved in. We used to joke when we traveled to small towns across the U.S. and would pick up a local paper to read. There were always the reports of "Mrs. X's cow gave birth last Thursday" or "An empty can was found on Silly Creek Road last Tuesday". We would chuckle at "small town living" and pat ourselves the back at how "worldly" we were. And yet here we are in the year 2009 glued to a TV set watching a ridiculous story that anyone with half a brain saw as being manufactured by the family. And yet we follow it up the next day watching the poor child get sick. I don't like watching people get sick in real life, why would I want to watch that on TV? And IS IT REALLY NEWS ?
I think we have all gone insane and if every TV blew up today it would be for the best. Even if it meant that I couldn't watch Nip/Tuck or Seinfeld reruns.

2 comments:

  1. I concur!! Its madness. I feel like everything is just so overexposed these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too!
    And which came first, the "24 hour news programming" or the people who "want to see it"?
    And while we're on the subject, one gripe I have, especially with the morning news, is that so often their "news" clips are really just promos for their evening shows. Tune in tonight for more details.
    And, another gripe, while we're at it, how about Matt Lauer asking the guy from PEOPLE magazine whether they paid Jaycee Duggard for the recent photos. It seems NBC must make some pretty fantastic financial offers to get all the "exclusive" interviews they get. Who's kidding who? They claim they don't pay for news, but who's funding all the expenses for the man who's trying to get his son back from Brazil, where his ex took him? Methinks once this story has a happy ending, there will be "documentary" on it on NBC. I won't be watching.
    All that said, however, I still wouldn't want the TV to blow up. How could I watch Jeopardy?

    ReplyDelete