Friday, April 9, 2010

HAVE YOU SEEN THE MAN I MARRIED ?

I lost him some where over these past 40 years. There is someone here in his place who resembles that guy I fell in love with but this version really isn't all that great. I want the original copy back. Or maybe I need my rose colored glasses and simple mind back. Either way . . . I'v been robbed !
The original person I met all those years ago was handsome, fun, clever, witty, funny, sexy and smart ! He listened to me and we talked endlessly and easily about everything and anything. OR . . . is that just how I remember it ? Was I so snowed by this charming older man that I didn't notice all the things that drive me NUTS today? Was he really charming or just full of shit ? Was he witty and funny because I had never heard the jokes and stories before? Now after 40 years of hearing the same thing over and over and over he isn't quite as entertaining. Was he really all that smart or was I all that stupid ? It is a proven fact . . . (ask any woman) . . . men get stupider with age and women get smarter. It is a survival thing. As young women we listen raptly with adoring gazes as our man spews out his wisdom. As we age we realize that the wisdom is really 90% bull shit and we get smarter and smarter the more we dig our way through the piles of BS. We also realize that in order to survive we MUST take over the running of the family. The check book with CF (correction factor) scratched across each page because husband will not/cannot balance the check book and refuses in this day and age to learn to use a computer for on line banking ! And how many times do we have to ask for something to be done around the house before we either do it ourselves or hire someone to do it?
Husband's world has become a black hole of emptyness centering around the TV set. All those times we used to talk about nothing and anything . . . If it doesn't come from Fox News it isn't part of the conversation.
I don't know if I have had to become stronger and take on more responsibility because Ger just can't be bothered or has he just let go of everything because I have become more responsible? It is the old "Chicken or the Egg" thing. But whatever the reasons, I don't like it. Today it is just bugging the hell out of me that I am running my ass off and the Little Prince sits on his throne (recliner) and ALLOWS me to go nuts. Some days are worse than others and I guess I am tired. But damn it, what was I thinking all those years ago when I chose this man to share my life with me? I guess I should have looked up the defination of the word "Share" in the Brooklyn Irish Catholic dictionary or at least taken a good long look at his family before I made my decision. My Mother-in-law did try to warn me when she told me. "He doesn't have a clue" but I thought she was kidding. Stupid me !!

No comments:

Post a Comment