Thursday, April 15, 2010

Husband And The Swordfish

Now if you think this is going to be a story about Ger deep sea fishing, think again. Husband is not into macho things like sport fishing, hunting, motorcycle riding or pretty any thing that involves moving. He is the sort of sit/lie there kind of guy who if it involves any sort of interaction, energy or movement it is beyond him. Rather, this is a story about the type of swordfish that you buy at the market and bring home to cook. This is about the most chalenging thing husband has done in months.
We have house guests . . . and rather than stink up the house with the smell of cooking fish I decided we would cook the two beautiful, inch thick swordfish steaks on the grill outside. This automatically becomes Ger's job because it is a MANLY job to BBQ and he takes great pride in mastering the art of cooking a steak or a burger on the grill. But now I have thrown him for a total complete loop . . . I have asked him to cook a F I S H on his sacred, manly grill. He will not admit that this is something he would rather not do because then he would have to admit he is not the KING of grilling. So instead he agreed to take on "THE FISH". Because I knew he was breaking out in a cold sweat and starting to hyperventilate I went on line and checked on recipies for grilling swordfish. (I mean, really . . . how freaking hard can this be and how freaking different from a piece of beef can this be?) I gave him the fish steaks and told him the internet said to cook them 6-8 minutes a side. YOU WOULD THINK I ASKED HIM TO WALK A TIGHT ROPE ACROSS NIAGRA FALLS ! I left him and our house guest out at the grill and went back inside before I either lost it in hysterical laughter or choaked him to death. In EXACTLY 15 minutes husband came running (well, as close to running as he can get, which really amounts to a quick walk) into the house with the fish on a platter. He charged into the kitchen asking, "Is this fish done?". Like he couldn't take a knife and cut into it like he would a steak? As it turned out it was not done and needed about 10 more minutes on the grill. I was now in the dog house because I TOLD him 6-8 minutes on each side and that was what he had done so I was WRONG ! (capital letters, exclamation point!) What do I know about grilling fish? Only what I read on the internet.
Bottom line, the fish was a little too well done and dry but what the hell . . . at least my house doesn't stink of fish !

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy! I can actually picture this! I hope the weekends events go better :)

    ReplyDelete