Tuesday, November 30, 2010

TOWELS

Since when did towels become decorations ?  I always thought you bought towels to dry things with. Bath towels for your body, hand towels for your hands, dish towels for the dishes. But all that is changing.
Tonight I was hanging up the BEAUTIFUL Christmas towels that my sister-in-law, Joan, gave me last year as a Christmas gift. These towels are the nicest towels I have ever owned and I would smack anyone who dared use them on their grimy bodies. I mean, we are talking works of art ! (The towels, not the bodies.) I had forgotten about the towels until we started emptying the boxes full of Christmas decorations. Right there it shows you that I consider these towels decorations and not utilitarian items. If I had planned on keeping them out to USE they would be stuffed in the hall closet along with the other thread bare pieces of cloth that we use for drying. Maybe that is part of the problem. These towels are NEW, where as all my other towels are at least 30 years old. Who goes out and buys new towels (or sheets) when you have a closet full of perfectly serviceable* ones.  (*anything that has less than 3 rips or 5 holes)
Anyway, I folded the new Christmas towels, hung them on the towel bar in the guest bathroom and they look wonderful. But if we have guests I will put folded towels on the bed for them to use because the ones in the bathroom are just for decoration. HOW SILLY !  At least we have hangers in back of the bathroom door for our guests to hang their wet towels. The first time I stayed over night at my other sister-in-law's house on Long Island I had no idea what to do with my wet towel. Ann Marie's bathroom is FILLED with beautiful towels.  There are pink floral ones on one hanger, green ones on another hanger and hand towels galore on little racks all over the bathroom.  But they are all for decoration! So when you take a shower there is no where to hang your wet towel. I finally settled on hanging it on the closet door in the guest bedroom.
I guess we are pretty silly when it comes to practical and pretty. Pretty wins out more often than not so that when people come to our homes they see an illusion. As long as they are looking at the illusion instead of the dust that's fine with me.  

1 comment:

  1. Not only towels...

    This time of year my kitchen is adorned with festive holiday potholders - but heaven help the person who even thinks about using them to handle a hot pot or pan!
    That's what the (ragged/stained) everyday potholders (hidden away in a drawer) are for.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete