Sunday, April 15, 2012

WHEN DO WIVES GET TO RETIRE?

So, I'm thinking that this is it . . .   Life is great as far as being a full time resident of South Florida and living the good life in a beautiful house in Paradise. I've got my health, got enough dollars to pay the bills and live comfortably but something is still missing.

I look at H and wonder what is must be like to be a man. H has been retired for 12 years now and he looks GREAT!  Tan, well rested and healthy.  To which I should be delighted and so happy for him where I am actually SCREAMING, "IT'S NOT FAIR!".  H spends his days doing Suduko puzzles in front of the TV and wandering around the yard picking up palm fronds that have fallen from the trees.  THAT IS ALL HE DOES !

For years I have been "The wife". People would meet us as a couple and spend the first 5 minutes telling H how great he looks.    HELLO! . . .   "Chopped Liver" is standing here. (That is what I am in this relationship, the chopped liver that no one wants to mention.)  I AM what keeps H going and keeps him looking so well. I cook his food,  take care of his finances and basically dress the man since he has never shopped for a thing for himself.

WHEN DO I GET TO RETIRE AND LOOK AND FEEL GOOD?

Wives don't retire, we die.  It's a fact.  We were stupid enough to buy into the teachings of our mothers that a wife's job is to take care of her husband and family. Well the family is out of the house and the problem of the persons who married them. So now it is just H left to "care for" and I am tired of it. I thought when I married this man that he was going to take care of me . . .  HA  HA   HA  HA  HA  HA
How young and stupid was I ? Within a year the rolls reversed and I found myself chief cook and bottle washer.  Dinner on the table, laundry in the washer. And even then I thought this was the way it was supposed to be. But being the complainer that I am I am not going down without a fight. Who am I kidding . . .   I don't have the energy to fight.

I AM constantly tired.  Even with eating out as often as we do and having cleaning ladies come twice a month to clean those Gawd awful bathrooms that H insists on peeing all over I am still "TAKING CARE" of the husband.  Today I made a nice breakfast of bacon, eggs, bagels and coffee. Nothing extravagant but a nice Sunday breakfast.  The dishes are still sitting on the table.  The man can't even clear off the table no less put a dish in the dish washer.

I guess I'll retire when I'm dead.  It's sounding a lot better each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment