Friday, January 24, 2014

WE WENT TO THE MOVIES TODAY

Before we get into that I need to let you know that we are alive and kicking.  We had a week with all the grand kids here and a week of recovery after they all went home. Jeanne and frank are here from NY for a month at their condo in Hobe Sound so I have not had much time or energy to blog. I'll try to do better and get some notes and pictures to you from our time with the grand kids.

BUT . . . today we hooked up with J &F and went to see a movie.  LONE SURVIVOR is not a movie for the faint of heart. It was excellent and it was disturbing. I could have cried for the rest of the day as I left the theater. I have a new found respect for any person chooses to join our armed forces and fight for what ever our country deems important. Whether I agree or disagree with our politics we ARE at war and these young people who give up their lives are the bravest of the brave.
The movie is a true story, which makes it even more disturbing. Why do these guys choose to do this?  You watch this movie, shaking your head, telling yourself they are CRAZY with a capital "C" and yet a part of you is so envious of them and wish you had the guts and stamina to do what they can do.
Being of the "Vietnam war" generation I never understood why a person would volunteer to fight. I always felt I would send my sons to Canada if there were a draft. After watching this movie I would be proud to have a child serve as these young men did. I can't help but think of all Americans serving our country in all those foreign countries and how little we think of them on a daily basis. I feel guilty for living such a perfect life with such little thought given to all those who are keeping my life so pleasant.

I'm saying a bunch of extra prayers tonight for all our military personnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment