Tuesday, September 19, 2017

I SWORE I'D NEVER MOVE AGAIN

I seem to remember saying I would NEVER move again,   EVER  !  Those words came from this mouth just a little over a year ago when I experienced the "Move From Hell"  from my wonderful sun lit house with a pool and garden and cathedral ceilings into THE CAVE.  Don't get  me wrong please . . .  This little condo served me well and was a good resting point in my life. It was good to leave the house behind with all it's money and time draining issues but looking back the move was way too fast and even a little too soon. ( That's what I think but as always God is doing what needs to be done in order to get me where I'm supposed to be.) The practical side of me knew I HAD to leave all that behind and move into something more practical for my single life and budget so I quickly settled on this little one room condo to rent. As it turns out renting is fabulous for a single woman. No headaches of home repairs, broken appliances, too much space to clean OR more importantly the monthly drain of HOA and POA fees, mortgage, home owners insurance or the other financial drains of owning your own house. I do remember the note of horror from one of my children over the fact that I was NOT going to BUY a new place. The thought of mom not investing in a house was questioned but once I made my decision it was accepted and I had full support and help from my wonderful family.

And so began the 14 months of being a cave dweller. This condo is lovely but it IS small and dark and tucked away at the back of a 3 story building that reminded me of my early childhood apartment dwelling in NYC.  I did feel very safe during the hurricane seasons of 20160 & 17 because it would take an earth quake or a Florida sink hole to take this building down.  I lived here in relative peace and probably would have stayed here forever just to avoid MOVING AGAIN !  But God has HIS way of moving us where HE wants us to be and so Dwayne entered my life and after a year and a half of enjoying this wonderful man's company D suggested WE go in together on a larger place to live. (It did not take any convincing at all. The moment he suggested it I jumped at the idea!)  Dwayne still has a house in Michigan where he hangs out when he isn't with me but those times are becoming less and less frequent. If we aren't traveling, spending time in Alaska with his son or off on an adventure we are living in Florida.

And so begins the journey to a new and bigger living space. God bless this man for trusting me to find us a place, which I did in a matter of weeks from the time we had our moving discussion. I think I started packing the moment I got off the phone. We had brushed upon the subject of sharing a bigger place here in Florida but didn't make any plans to act upon it until our return from 2 months in Alaska where we discovered we DID want to share a space and that space really needed to have more space.

The place I have found is about a half mile from where I am now but it is worlds away in terms of feeling like home.  I stumbled upon the community totally by dumb luck, if there is such a thing  as opposed to Divine Intervention. The community reminds me very much of the one where I had my house, lots of trees and green grass and open spaces. The condo is like my old house with a huge screened in patio, high cathedral ceilings and lots of light coming in from the 4 sliding glass doors that wall all the open space. I fell in love with it and can only hope Mr. Man will love it too.  But then I figure as long as the big screen TV, the bar-b-que and the refrigerator are there D will be happy.  It doesn't take much to make this guy happy.  

The move is set for a week from Thursday so since September first I have been filling boxes with my "stuff". Only a minor set back when hurricane Irma blew through and we lost electricity for 5 days. At least THE MOVE wasn't planned for during the storm. Just this last Friday I got the keys for the new place and thus began the physical part of moving ALL my crap from the cave to the house, (which is what I consider this new place to be). There will be movers here to carry all the big items such as sofa, wardrobe, secretary and china cabinet but in the mean time I am carting boxes and bags of things that I just don't want to take the time to wrap up and leave for the  movers. I am astounded that I have so much junk in this tiny space. I've taken 4 car loads from here to there and yet I haven't made a dent in what is yet to be moved. THIS is the part I had blocked from my brain when I agreed to move and THIS is the part that I will remember when I tell you I'M NEVER GOING TO MOVE AGAIN !

P.S. Dwayne is flying down for the week of the move just so he can fully experience the joy of moving and hopefully keep me from loosing my mind when I realize I still haven't gotten everything packed up to go. As for D's part in this move . . .   he will show up with one tiny suitcase and that will be the extent of his moving !

No comments:

Post a Comment