Sunday, November 26, 2017

DECORATING ELVES

When Husband was alive I used to tell him we did NOT have elves that washed clothes, cleaned the house or cook the meals.  I honestly think the man thought there were little elves, aka Pixies, that did all these things. I know he never gave me credit for getting them done nor was he willing to share these chores with me. It was just something that wasn't important to him. How or when things got done was beyond his realm of interest.  If it wasn't on FOX NEWS it just didn't hold any importance.
There was no ELF ON A SHELF in our house.  I never heard of the little guy until I had grand kids, although it, (he/she) has apparently been around for well over 50 years.  Go figure?
Every day life was always interesting enough in my home but come CHRISTMAS it was an all out free for all.  I wish I had an army of elves to get the tree up, house decorated, cookies baked and gifts wrapped. There were the few occasions, especially in our retirement years that Husband did attempt to help. His gift wrapping looked like something out of Charlie Brown's Christmas and the decorations were usually all clustered together in one spot of one room rather than spread out through out the house. But HEY, he helped !
And so now that I have grand kids it is so delightful to have little ELVES that come to my house and help me with all these holiday tasks. My house has never been so decorated in all my years of holiday celebrations. What is is about kids and decorations ?? Give them some paper, glue, ribbon and GLITTER and it is a holiday explosion no matter what the occasion.
All my grand kids love to decorate but none more than Kaelin and Finn.  Abby is an awesome decorator and Smith, Wynn and Grey can be enticed into the decorating spirit if given enough glue. They LOVE glue as much as Kaelin loves glitter. It's a dangerous combination when those guys all get together.
As of today all the Thanksgiving decorations and art work have been stored away in containers in the shed and it is now time to dig out Christmas. There are about 5 large plastic containers out in the shed that are labeled "CHRISTMAS". They have been stored in a storage unit for a year and a half and now it is time to break open the goodies. My previous condo was just too small to do any serious decorating so I am really looking forward to this Christmas. Especially since I have my two little elves living just down the street. We are all chomping at the proverbial bit to get Christmas up and shining around here. I have room to put up outside lights and lots of space to put out all the treasured decorations from years past. Now we just have to find the time. Plans were made for KK and Finn to decorate their house on Friday and Saturday and then the elves would come to grand ma's today, Sunday, to get some Christmas cheer going over here before I leave for Michigan. (I'm flying up there on Tuesday to make the week long meandering drive back to Florida with Dwayne. Stopping at friends and family along the way we figure on being back here by December tenth. ) Arriving back in Florida on December 10th gives me exactly 14 days until Christmas to write Christmas cards, (that I just remembered to order this past week so they aren't here yet! ) , wrap gifts, (which I think I have pretty well got bought),  bake cookies if I care to and to decorate the house. Mr. Dwayne has offered to help and I actually believe him. Yet with that short a time frame I figured I better get a jump on something. Decorating first, wrapping second all while packing a suit case to leave in 48 hours. today I was really looking forward to spending the day with my 2 little elves but sadly they BOTH woke up this morning with fevers. There is no decorating with little people who are under the weather.
Was it too much partying from Thanksgiving?  Too much decorating at their house these past 2 days? Or are they in shock that they have to return to school tomorrow after an entire week off ??
What ever the case I think I will hand them the key to my house, show them where the boxes of decorations are and let them have at it next weekend when I am away. 
This may be the most genius idea I have had yet !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment