Friday, November 24, 2017

GIVING THANKS

I'd like to start by saying I am SO thankful that I am not feeling like I did last night at this time. Yesterday was a wonderfully fantastic day and I had a blast with my family. The food was out of this world delicious ! Steve did a lot of the cooking and baking in the tradition of his family.  His dad was always the one in the kitchen creating a feast and Steve did his father proud yesterday. From the brine soaked fabulous turkey to the to die for pumpkin pie the meal was amazing. And naturally the best part was that I didn't have to cook or prepare anything. With the exception of the home made apple sauce that Kaelin and Finn helped me make last weekend I didn't lift a finger.
I DID though,  lift a fork ! Actually more than one fork each one laden with delicious food that was sooooooo good I just did not stop eating it until my plate was empty and my belly was beyond full. And then I ate PIE ! Home made pumpkin pie with home made whip cream. I do think that may have been the fork full that put my stomach on over load and made me feel more sick than I care to ever feel again. I swear the stuffed turkey was feeling better than me and he was DEAD! There were actually a few hours there last night that I considered death over how full I was. But fortunately given enough time my tummy settled down and this morning I had a hankering for left overs. Thankfully all the left overs were left at Keri's house so I settled on toast and tea which was probably the very best choice I could have made.
Yesterday's feast was wonderful and it brought up so many memories of holidays past. The food got us talking about Grand pa Fred and what a wonderful cook he was. The kale on the table got us talking about Grand pa Ger and how he wouldn't eat anything out of the ordinary. These two wonderful men were part of our giving thanks for having had them in our lives for how ever long God saw fit. Thanksgiving is a day of celebrating life but it also gets us to stop  and remember those who are not with us any more and for thinking of how very blessed we are to have had the opportunities to know them. So many wonderful people from my life are gone and I miss them all very much but rejoice in the knowledge that I was so lucky to have known them.
Today I am toasting my best Friend for life Gloria's husband John who just passed away this August. Today, the day after Thanksgiving is John's birthday. He left us very young and is missed by so many people. His family face this holiday season with this raw wound so fresh in their hearts. But we know John is in a great place, sitting on a park bench with Gerry laughing at us all.

And so I am giving thanks for everyone in my life . . .  past, present and future. We don't know what life has in store for us so remember to rejoice in the NOW and do your very best to give thanks for all that we have.  We love you John and Gerry, and Fred. You are missed !

No comments:

Post a Comment