Wednesday, November 25, 2020

HAPPY HURRIED THANKSGIVING

 Well it's "That" time of the year again where we all get ourselves worked up and crazy. Or at least     Crazier than usual.  Thanksgiving is upon us and Christmas isn't far behind so it's rush rush rush to get everything done. 

Thanksgiving dinner preparations include shopping for and preparing food and most importantly . . .  cleaning the house !  Heaven forbid we have a holiday and the house is not clean. The fact that the furniture will be loaded with turkey grease marks from little hands on the day of Thanksgiving and there will be crumbs and globs of food spattered under and around the table makes no difference.  The house MUST be clean before the guests arrive. 

Thanks to Covid we will not be spending the day with any of the family, which makes me sad, but no matter, the house must still be clean.  The Man and I are cooking our first Thanksgiving dinner together and so far it is actually very enjoyable. I have done all the shopping but he is so excited to make the stuffing and whip the potatoes that it may turn out to be a nice holiday after all.  We were planning on going to Keri's house where Kent and his kids would join us but I came to my senses as the virus numbers are increasing. The Man can't take the chance of catching this nasty germ so we will celebrate at home by ourselves.  I will probably ride over to visit all the family later in the day when we can all sit outside and socially distance ourselves.  And maybe I will even luck out and get a piece of pumpkin pie that my son-in-law Steve is famous for. 

Then after tomorrow the rush is on to prepare for Christmas !  I have always done my Christmas shopping during the year, filling closets with fun stuff that I pick up along the way. Thankfully our condo is small enough that I am limited to only a few hiding spots so the likelihood of finding a bunch of intended gifts some time in February is cut to a bare minimum.  Add to shopping the gift wrapping, decorating, baking and Christmas cards it gets to be a pretty hectic couple of months. 

Heaven forbid I should not have enough to keep me busy in November and December I have also scheduled to have my shoulder surgery on December first. I have been to see the surgeon so we are all set to get this done before Christmas so I will be pretty much recovered by the time Santa arrives.  At least that was the plan. I spent last week and the beginning of this week running around to doctors and labs and doing numerous video calls with the hospital and whom ever for all the pre-op stuff that needs to get done.  All was going smoothly until Monday night when I felt a very sore spot at the top of my leg. When I checked it out it looked like a boil that usually announces a flare up of MRSA, a particularly nasty staff infection that I apparently carry around in my body. I have had this for well over fifty years but up until this past March I never knew much about it.  How ever and when ever it all started I have no idea. I just know that every couple of years I would get a very painful but small lump somewhere on the midsection of my body.  I would treat it like a pimple, washing it often with alcohol, (not my Jim Beam but rubbing alcohol), and in a week or so it would just disappear.  Then last March when I was prepping for my original shoulder surgery date I was tested in the hospital for MRSA and low and behold I tested positive !  Big surprise to me !  Surgery was cancelled, which was good because Covid was just starting to shut down the hospitals.  I took an anti-biotic for a couple of days, the boil went away and thought nothing more of it. 

I should have known better !  I called my surgeon yesterday, Tuesday, exactly one week from my surgery date and told him about the sore on my leg.  That was when the proverbial shit hit the fan.  After numerous phone calls the surgery is postponed . . .  hopefully for only one week . . .  But then the surgeon wanted me to go to my dermatologist to get this thing checked out before we do any cutting and pasting on my shoulder. (They actually do "paste" me back together. The incision will be sealed with GLUE !) Surgeon called Dermatologist and Dermatologist called me and at 8:30 this morning I was in the dermatologist's office getting a boil sliced open.  Talk about a lousy way to start your day ! By 8:45 I was in my car on the way to Publix to drop off a prescription for a strong antibiotic that will probably give me a mouth full of sores. (Sulphur based meds do that to me but the doc wants me on this particular medication because it is the best at treating MRSA. )  Next I made a stop at Bealls outlet to pick up a package of mens boxer shorts.  (It just keeps getting sillier and sillier.)  With the possibility of giving TMI, too much information, I was told not wear regular undies because they will rub on the boils incision. So I'm going very "Butch" and wearing men's undies.  I may get used to this !  If this gets out I will be banned from Victorias Secret forever.  Although I have NEVER in my life been in that store.  Most of their "intimate" items scare the hell out of me. 

I made it back home by 9:30 just in time for my video call with my Cardiologist. (Another pre-op requirement for me.) After chatting with him he decided I needed to increase one of my medications so now I had two things to pick up at Publix.  During the Cardiologist phone call we discussed the need for me to CHANGE MY DIET and get more exercise.  As I turned off my computer, ending the video call. The Man said, "Lets go get a burger !  

Now in my heart I know I should have said "NO" and then sat down with a bowl of yogurt and fruit and taken a bit of a rest after the hectic morning and past week. But you all know me so much better than that. In the next few minutes I was in the car headed out to mail off 3 Christmas packages that needed to get shipped before my surgery. (My Christmas cards are done but I will hold off mailing them till at least the day after Thanksgiving.). Next we stopped to get gas in The Man's car and low and behold the gas station just happened to be next to Culver's Butter Burger restaurant and drive through.  If you have never had a Culvers burger let me tell you that it is THE most delicious burger ever.  After Culvers we stopped to pick up the two prescriptions and then came home.  

We arrived back home at 11:42 AM . . .   all this had transpired BEFORE twelve noon !!!!!   

The man is now taking a two hour nap because he is exhausted. I sat down for a few minutes to write this because it has been a while.  After I finish I need to go finish up the last step in making the yogurt that I started last night.  

I'm going to be VERY happy to have surgery in a week or two, (Hopefully!) so that I will be forced to do nothing for a while.  It's a great dream, if only it works out that way.  


No comments:

Post a Comment