Friday, November 13, 2020

SENIOR CITIZEN HIGH

 Sorry to disappoint anyone who is looking for a blog about drugs . . .  stop reading now and look elsewhere. Although I often joke about "drugs" today's "HIGH" refers to the disappointingly LOW expectations one has when they are true Senior Citizens.  

It is Friday the 13th and I am driving an hour north to visit with my cousin who just celebrated her 90th birthday.  That is an awesome accomplishment in anyones life and I truly hope I get there  . . . eventually. And I truly hope that when I am ninety I am still feeling as good as I do now and have not turned into an OLD person.  Sadly cousin Lu has gotten old and has reached that stage of her life where the alternative to living is much more appealing.  I can write more about that after I see her today. But after talking to Cousin Lu yesterday to confirm our "lunch date" I got to thinking about my expectations of life which has spurred me to write todays blog.

Do you ever stop to think about the "HIGH POINTS" of your life ?  Take a few minutes and consider the best things that you have experienced while on this earth.  Forget the aches and pains and problems you have had to deal with all your life and think about those times when you were happy to be alive.  How long is THAT list ?  I know the list of complaints and problems and "bad" times can sometimes overwhelm us but how about the good times ?  

My list takes up an entire volume the size of Webster's Unabridged Dictionary!  (Not that anyone under the age of 60 even knows what that is but the rest of us can remember the size of that sucker.") I do realize that as we age our expectations and goals are considerably reduced but sometimes we really do let it get out of hand.

Consider The Man . . .   Yesterday I was out at a doctor's appointment for my semi-annual check up. I got a shingles shot to keep me safe from that nasty little ailment and I also got a cortisone shot in my hand. I did a lot of crocheting this past summer and my right hand apparently did not like getting all that use.  I ended up with a "trigger finger" which is a pretty silly thing.  My middle finger locks in a bent position at odd times during the day. It is semi-painful but more annoying than anything.  I mean,  consider trying to flip someone "The Bird" and you can't straighten out your finger !  It's just awful !  I just happened to mention this annoyance to my doctor and she kindly gave me an injection into the tendon of my hand that really seems to be helping. 

But back to The Man . . .   I arrived home from the doctor and I was greeted by a happy man who stated that he had a very good morning. (Considering that he goes no where without me I couldn't imagine what had made him so cheerful. Perhaps one of my sexy 85 year old neighbor widows had paid him a visit?) But no, The Man was so happy with himself because . . .  wait for it . . .  he had set up his weekly dose of pills !!!!!!!!!!!!  I swear to you I honestly thought he had won the Florida Lottery the way he was talking.  I congratulated him on his exciting morning and went into the bedroom where I could process this without either busting out laughing or crying over the fact that THIS was a "high" point of The Man's day.

I guess it's all relative but I do think we need to take a moment and consider what we are doing with our lives. If sitting down and arranging your weekly dose of medication in a little plastic box makes you feel the same as climbing Mt. Everest that maybe you need to make some changes in your life.  Life is tough, especially when you have health issues but you don't need to give in and lower your expectations that far. 

I asked the man to accompany me to Cousin Lu's today but he told me it was too much of a hassle to bring his oxygen so he will stay home alone here today and count the droplets of water dripping into the sink. No, he didn't say that but that is what it amounts to. We have returned to sunny Florida and The Man sits in the kitchen, (remember that is is favorite room in his MI house), until I say, "let's sit outside". 

I think I will still strive for higher "HIGH POINTS" . . .  right after I get back from today's trip to see my cousin.  THAT IS NOT a high point of my week !

No comments:

Post a Comment