Sunday, January 3, 2021

DAY THREE OF THE NEW YEAR

 It doesn't feel like a new year.  It sure doesn't feel like Sunday.  We are so screwed up with the days of the week and the date that it could be Tuesday July 23.   It certainly is warm enough to be July 23,  that's for sure.  But it isn't humid so I guess it couldn't be the middle of summer.  

Covid 19 has messed with our heads for a full twelve months now.  How is that possible ????  On one hand it seems that we have been wearing masks and social distancing FOREVER and yet on the other hand I still can't quite grasp the whole quarantine thing.  I have not been isolated from my loved ones because they are so close by and we can visit outside so I get to see their wonderful faces all the time.  You can visit on Skype and Zoom but there is nothing like seeing them in person. 

As for not being able to eat out at my favorite restaurants,  that just doesn't happen since I have The Man in my life.  In spite of the fact that his wife was an extraordinary chef The Man just loves his meat and potatoes plain and simple.  (Is that why he continues to weigh twenty pounds less than me ?) I LOVE a good restaurant that gets creative and serves unusual foods.  One of my favorite places down here is "Leftovers". It started as a very small place in Jupiter named "Little Mohrs Food Shack". which everyone abbreviated to "The Shack".  It was in a strip mall and you would have to wait for hours to get a table.  But the wait was well worth it!  They serve the absolute BEST seafood around and the way they prepare it is fantastic.  It sounds gross and weird but their Mahi Mahi coated in sweet potato served on a bed of wonderful greens is out of this world.  The place became so popular that the owner opened a second and bigger restaurant near by and called it "Leftovers".  I'm not sure if he is referring to the food being copied from the original or the patrons who are left over because they couldn't get into the original "Shack".  What ever the reasoning I do love this place. Sadly the last time I was there I went by myself for a late lunch/early dinner right after Husband had died.  I didn't enjoy eating alone but it was well worth it for the delicious meal I had.  Husband, like The Man did not like eating out in good restaurants.  How I have been blessed with two men in my life who both LOVE Burger King and Mac Donalds is beyond me.  Once again I chalk it up to God and his wicked sense of humor.    

Today, on this third day of the new year The Man asked if I would like to take a ride in the early afternoon, before the 4:00 Packers game.  Always ready for any sort of adventure we left the house not knowing exactly where we were headed.  Now think about this . . .   you are living in South Florida only minutes from the ocean and the day is the most beautiful of days.  You want to go for a ride somewhere fairly close so where do you go ???   If you guessed the beach you are wrong.  We took a ride to, wait for it,        the car wash!    But not just any old car wash. We went to the new car wash that allows you to remain IN your car the entire time !  The Man was in Hog Heaven . . .   not so much for me.  He was happier than a pig in poop because the car wash kid had The Man open the hood and trunk so he could blow out all the leaves that had gathered there. (Our assigned parking spots are directly under a stupid tree that looses its leaves ALL year round.  How that is possible I can't figure out but it is true.). These small pointy leaves drive The Man NUTS !!!!!  He is obsessed with them and mutters constantly about how many damn leaves there are on his car.  So when we went to the car wash and the kid got rid of ALL the leaves The Man was so excited. (I guarantee you the trunk and hood will be covered by sun up tomorrow.)

To celebrate our "adventure" at the car wash we then went out to eat.  Well,  not exactly OUT but as close to it as we ever get.  I managed to get The Man focused on something other than a burger at a drive through but because he is very self conscious of being on oxygen our dinner "out" was limited to someplace that didn't require us to get out of the car.  There is no lack of places like that here where we live so we settled on Buds Chicken and Fish.  We went for the fried shrimp dinner with TWO sides.  We don't get drinks because, "They are a pain in the butt to carry from the car to the house!"  (I personally would balance a gallon of ice tea on my head but The Man finds this way too difficult.).  Today the Shrimp were mediocre at best and I am now sitting here with a pain in my belly wondering just what the hell I'm going to do for the next 362 days left in this year.  

I got on the scale this morning and I weigh five pounds more than I did on December third.   I am already well over the "normal" weight for a person my height and age so this move in the plus direction is not a good one.  I have no hope that this new year will change The Man's eating habits and that means it will be extra difficult for me to change my way of eating.  But this is my January third New Year's resolution . . .

Take better care of myself because it looks like I'm on my own when it comes to food.  If only I were strong enough to do that !

No comments:

Post a Comment