Wednesday, January 13, 2021

STOP THE WORLD . . . HOCKEY IS BACK !!!!

 O.M.G.   The Man is obsessed with hockey.  This is not news to me but this year it is a little more insane than years past because last years season was cut short due to Covid. It was like tearing duct tape off of a hairy gorilla. 

In the past The Man has had an entire season of hockey to watch and moan over as his beloved Detroit Red Wings slowly but surely drop further and further down in the standings. There would be moments of hopeful anticipation only to be crushed as they fell to last place year after year.  But last year the hockey season was just getting ramped up when all games were cancelled and all hopes and dreams of a Stanley Cup win were brutally and abruptly ended. I think it was worse than if I dropped dead.

A few weeks ago an announcement was made that hockey was going to return in January.  The Man couldn't have been more excited if we won the five hundred million dollar Florida lottery.  He immediately went into hyper drive planning on how we were going to handle the TV channels in order to get ALL the games.  In years past we have had to call our cable company and order a special subscription for Center Ice. Every year it is a hassle trying to get this simple thing done because apparently NO ONE at Comcast Cable Company watches hockey so therefore they have no idea what we are talking about.  The first year we called them it took us four phone calls to get it right. Never mind that it costs The Man a small fortune to subscribe for a season. We could probably fly to Detroit and have season box seats for what we pay the cable company.

Ah, but this year The Man had a plan.  Over the summer I cancelled all my extra cable channels and am just paying for internet because my community provides the basic cable TV.  Because we NEVER watch anything other than Wheel of fortune and possible the local news each night we didn't need the three million channel line up that I was paying for.  I have a Netflix subscription and because Keri and Steve gave me a "Firestick" for my smart TV I now also have a subscription to HULU. (Comcast cable does not have HULU or Disney +).  When I up graded my AT&T phone service this past summer I now have HBO Max as a part of my phone contract.  When it is all added up I'm paying less for all this than I was when I had all the extra crap from my cable company. 

But even with all these stations we still DO NOT get Center Ice or NHL so The Man is still in the same boat that he has been in for the past 4 years.  So the search began . . .   How are WE going to get to watch hockey when it starts tomorrow?  

At this point I am no longer even thinking about this because The Man is driving me nuts.  WE have sat in front of the TV for the past three weeks trying to figure out how WE can get The Detroit Redwings into our home.  Because, like most men, The Man does not bother to learn how to use all FOUR TV clickers it has been necessary for me to take an active part in this Hockey Horror.  At least that was the case until I lost it about a week ago.  I was in the middle of trying to get dinner cooked and the kitchen cleaned up while The Man was playing with TV remotes. I had had it . . .  because I don't care if a bunch of guys are sliding around on ice chasing a little black round thing.  I got The Man to hold off till after dinner when we both sat down and researched this hockey dilemma.  After several phone calls to The Man's son in Alaska WE figured out we needed to download and subscribe to NHL network.  The Man actually attempted this on his own but that wasn't working so once again I was sucked into the black hole of manly sports.  WE managed to get the app but needed three phone calls to NHL help line before we got The Man registered and hopefully set to go. 

Tomorrow is the first Red Wing game.  I am saying a Novena tonight that we actually do have the correct connection to the NHL channel because if The Man finds that he can't get the game there will be a frantic and panicked rush to call customer support and you know who is going to be making that call. 

No comments:

Post a Comment