Wednesday, May 19, 2021

SPRING TIME IN THE U P

 According to the calendar that is hanging on the kitchen wall I do believe it is supposed to be Spring.  Considering the fact that snow was falling two weeks ago right after we arrived here I had my doubts. Then yesterday I was walking around in shorts and a tank top because it was so hot. And I thought Florida weather was crazy.

I has been quite chilly, damp and cloudy since we arrived here in the U P of Michigan.  I was beginning to wonder what had made me get in the car with The Man to travel 4 days to this arctic waste land.  And then the weather changed !!  HALLELUJAH  LORD !!!!  I mean it is tough enough leaving my family in Florida to spend the summer up here but if I am coming here only to freeze to death then I must be nuts !

Thankfully The Lord saw me packing and planning my escape and He has actually let the sun shine long enough for me to unpack my bag and settle in for the season.  

The past weekend was COLD on Friday but then on Saturday the sun started to peek out from behind all the gray clouds and the earth began to warm up.  The peonies are growing inches each day, as is the grass. The birds are out back at the bird feeders filling their bellies and even the Hummingbirds are back hovering around the feeder like mini helicopters while sticking their little straw like beaks into the sugar water we have put out just for them.  The air has gotten warmer and the cold breeze off of Lake Michigan is beginning to feel less frosty. The best part of this arrival of Spring is we have little orange visitors who will be here for about two weeks.  The Baltimore Orioles are passing through and they are magnificent !!  I don't think I have ever seen one this close so having them feeding right outside the kitchen glass door is such a treat.  Someone told us just the other day that the Orioles were in town so we should put out a half of an orange for them to feed on.  We just happened to have some of those little oranges that were the perfect size to slice open and put out on the top of the bird feeder. I swear I wasn't back in the house two minutes when we had two beautiful Orioles perched out there munching away on the orange. By the end of the day the orange pieces were sucked dry so we have replaced them today and sure enough the Orioles are even happy to visit in the rain.  

Now that the weather is warming up I couldn't resist going out and getting into the garden to start beating back the weeds that seem to have woken up long before any of the flowering plants. The first day I got out the weed whacker and launched an attack out back.  That resulted in giving myself tendonitis in my new shoulder. Five days on Prednisone and I'm back to normal. So now that I know not to use the weed whacker I got on my hands and knees and started cutting back weeds with a scissor. That resulted in getting a cold butt from the wet ground, an aching arthritic hand and a head cold to boot !  Apparently Spring time is not a good time for senior citizens who don't use their brains.  

By yesterday I was feeling almost back to normal on all counts. I woke up to a BEAUTIFUL day outside. Temperatures in the low 70's, sun blazing, a wonderful cool breeze off the lake . . . just perfect !  I DID NOT go out into the garden !!  Instead I went into town to do some shopping and then made a visit to the chiropractor to get myself ready for the next adventure into home care on the "farm". The Man had set up a date with one of the neighbors kids to come over today to help us pick up fallen branches from around the property. Gus was also going to move some outside furniture and pull some stuff out of the basement. I personally was dreading the day because I knew I would probably be working alongside Gus and I just wasn't ready for another day of work when I was just beginning to get back to normal.  Because there is a God we woke up this morning to rain rain rain and temperatures in the 50's.  Thank you Lord !!!! There is an advantage to living up here with the crazy weather.  It gives me a chance to recover and have a lazy day blogging and reading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment