Thursday, July 22, 2010

Movies & .Blood

These are not related so don't look for the Freudian connection in my psyche. These topics are just 2 of the things that have been in my life these past few days. (I apologize for not blogging as often as I did in England but until the new computer arrives I am doing as little as I can on this little note book.)
Starting with Blood . . . ARE YOU A BLOOD DONOR? I wasn't for years and years and then some how or other got "sucked" back in. Our church has a blood mobile parked in the parking lot every couple of months and I was feeling guilty over being so blessed and not doing anything to help others, so I signed up to donate a pint. A lovely lady named Evelyn entered my life as a result. She works for the Florida Blood Bank and calls me every so often to get me to donate. Then one day while I was giving my pint of blood I saw something about donating PLATELETS. It takes about an hour and you can donate every month. The platelets are used for so much more than just blood so they are in greater demand. I usually end up donating every 3-4 months just because of our busy schedules but at least I feel that I am making a contribution of some sort to those less fortunate than me. Donating platelets involves something similar to a blood transfusion. They take my blood from one arm, filter it through a machine to take out the platelets and then return it to me. There is no light headed feeling involved but it does make you cold so it is the perfect thing to do on a HOT day in South Florida. Considering the heat wave that is sweeping the country you just might want to consider donating some yourself.

Having spent the morning giving platelets Ger and I took the afternoon to relax in style and go see a movie with our free tickets. (A story for another day.) When I went to Curves on Tuesday I overheard some women discussing the movie INCEPTION. It sounded like something I would like so that was our choice. My brain is still spinning from this movie. As I said to Ger, "It hurts my brain to try to think about this movie." Not to mention the ending that I thought was perfect. But you have to see it for yourself to understand what I am taking about, Just know it is VERY confusing at first but pay attention and you'll get it. It is very different from the usual sappy love story or bloody shoot-em-up. It's got something for everyone. Ger really enjoyed it which I didn't really expect so that is a good endorsement. It is not a movie to go to if you want to relax. You have to think and pay attention but it is worth the effort. I give it a 4 star . . . must see !

No comments:

Post a Comment