Thursday, July 19, 2012

GER'S OFFICE

I was exchanging emails with friend Kathy today and she mentioned her husband's office. She said that if Ger's office was anything like her husbands . . .
After I stopped laughing at the thought of Ger having an "office" I told her I had the makings of today's blog.
For as long as I have know H the man has NEVER had an office in our house. Never had an office at his school where he taught for 36 years but did have an office at the Town of Brookhaven where he ran a recreation program for about 2 thousand handicapped individuals. I very seldom visited his TOB office but any time I was there all I could see was a huge mess. Two or three desks with mountains of paper on them, a telephone that he was ALWAYS talking on and clutter all over and under every thing.
Now that H is retired and living in Florida he has no need of an office. He has a recliner in the TV room.  Next to the recliner is the phone, a light, 2 "organizer" boxes with all sorts of papers, pencils and pens. The BIG IMPORTANT part of H's "office" is his personal planner.
About 2 years ago one of the charities who continually send us crap sent a small planner/calendar. H liked it and that was the start of "his office".  EVERY THING gets written in the planner, or his Sudoku calendar or any of the numerous scraps of paper that are over flowing the organizer boxes. H is forever "taking notes" on things and writing things down some place in that corner of the den. Because we also will eat dinner on snack trays in front of the TV there are also numerous bits of unidentifiable food items mixing in with the "office".  ( I have cleaning ladies who dread going into that corner of the room. I pay them extra just to clean the office!)



This all is actually a step up from the mobile office that is parked in our drive way. Because we have a "HIS & HERS" car H keeps much of his clutter in his car. Today as we went out I had to get a garbage bag for the passenger side of his car. Coupons are a BIG part of the "files" in the mobile office. I gave the man a manila file folder the size of Rhode Island so he could keep his coupons all in one place but some how that just doesn't happen. I'm thinking that I should get some double sided tape and when he leaves these coupons around I can just tape them to his body.
And leave them around HE Does!  A favorite resting place for the coupons is on the antique trunk inside the front door.  H clips coupons in his "office". They kick around his "office" for a few days until I ask if they are coming or going so he moves them to the trunk.  It takes an average of a week for the coupon to move from the trunk to the front seat of the car. There they stay until I get to ride in his car. By the time I pick them up off the floor of the car they have expired . . .

Every one needs an office!  I  happen to have 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment