Monday, February 11, 2013

CURE FOR OLD AGE

Getting older?  Feeling tired?  Can't sleep that well at night? Bones so achy that you don't want to move around much?  Just feeling slow and lethargic?   I HAVE THE CURE !

Spend 24 hours with a 2 year old and you will be as young and active as you were at twenty!

We had Smith here on Saturday for an over night and if anything will keep me moving he will ! What a great time we had!  Smith's mom and dad had a big DJ event to attend so they asked if their little man could come to grand ma's for the night. I think I said YES before they even stopped speaking! This little guy is a joy to spend time with.

Up until Smith was born we were grand parents to two wonderful little GIRLS.   Abby was our first grand child and then Kaelin came along 3 years later. Little girls are delightful.  We have tea parties, play dolls and castles and princesses. Then Smith was born and Grand ma was introduced to the world of little BOYS.  (Having been a kindergarten and preschool teacher I did know that little boys and little girls are very different. But it had been years since our own children were little and since I was teaching so Smith was a bit of a shock.)

Captain Destructo, as his parents call him, arrived yesterday around 4.  He IS NOT a destructive child at all but he is a boy!  NO sissy ass girl toys for this little man. Out came the trucks and cars and we were off and running. Ger stayed clear of most of the action which was a wise choice. Hot wheel cars were zooming through out the house, Huge dump trucks were carting sand across the patio from one sand pit to another and all this accompanied by shouts of "COME ON GRANDMA!"  We buried and dug up all the jungle animals and "fixed" the rocking chair with the toy tools.  There was not a single tea party to be had.
By dinner I was pooped when I asked Smith what he would like to eat.  "HOT DOGS!" was his answer which was an excellent choice because of their ease to  prepare. That along with some mac and cheese and apple sauce was our dinner of choice.  Smith ate 3 hot dogs, a half jar of apple sauce and some mac and cheese. Ger and I couldn't believe how this little guy packed away the food. After dinner there was some more play with cars and then bath and bed.
Having any of our grand kids stay over guarantees I don't sleep soundly. Since Smith is no longer in a crib at home he wanted to sleep in the "big" bed in the guest bedroom. I had pillows on the floor all around the bed and in spite of the bed rail Smith did manage to fall out of the bed some where in the middle of the night. No problem, a few startled tears but no injuries. Thanks to all our adventures the little man slept until just about 7 AM !  And his parents complain that he gets up at 5 ! Not happening at Grand ma's house. We came out and snuggled and watched ICE AGE 2 before breakfast and then just continued playing where we had left off on Saturday.

I think Smith asked for his parents twice but didn't dwell on their absence. We were too busy!  Grandma was up and down off the floor all day and today I am accessing the damage. THERE IS NONE !  Spending this time with Smith is the best thing for me. He keeps me moving and not snacking. He entertains me endlessly and the laughter never stops. He is the best cure for old age!

And when that little voice says, "I LOVE YOU GRANDMA" it just melts my heart !

No comments:

Post a Comment