Thursday, September 17, 2015

THE CASE OF THE MISSING BRUSEL SPROUTS

The was a  major crisis in my kitchen just a few moments ago.  I was making some lunch and had decided to have some brussel sprouts with my fish but for the life of me could not find the little cabbages anywhere. Note that this is a vegetable that has NEVER been found in my home for as long as I have been alive. First because I never knew what the heck these funny little things were because I had never had them as a child and second because once I found out what they were I thought they were pretty disgusting.  Thirdly, Gerry would NOT even entertain the thought of putting a brussel sprout on his plate never mind into his mouth. Thus they never entered our home. Then something weird happened . I tried eating a brussel sprout in a restaurant where they actually did something with it rather than just boil it. They saute it, added spices, added wine, added butter . . . WHOA !  Whole new culinary experience !  Those little suckers actually tasted GOOD !  Then low and behold Kyle and Bridget cooked brussel sprouts for me and THEY were FABULOUS !  I have now fallen in love with little cabbages ! So when I had my taste buds all set for tiny cabbages for lunch I was devastated to find my brussel sprouts were  . . .  TA DA . . .    MISSING !!!!!!!!!!!!

OH  NO  !!!  What dastardly fiend has stolen my brussel sprouts ??????   Was it one of my friends, who upon entering my home and smelling the delectable smell of roasting sprouts snatched the remaining half bag of uncooked orbs and made a fast getaway with them ??  Or did I some how mistakenly toss the half bag of unused little darlings into the trash when hurriedly cleaning up the kitchen the last time I cooked ?  Or had some ravenous beast snuck into my house only to steal the half bag of crunchy little green gobs of goodness ?  . . .   OH bother . . .  where could they be ?  I tore apart the fridge to no avail and then realized I had frozen the remaining sprouts figuring it would be a better way of keeping them for a long amount of time since it is always a hit or miss deal as to whether I will be cooking or not on any given day.  Sure enough, There they were, sitting right on the freezer shelf where I had left them looking like a bag of eyeballs just waiting for a Halloween party.  They are now roasting away, smelling just delish and making me really really glad that I found them.

I cannot believe the foods I have found myself eating since Gerry has left the building. I know for a fact he is sitting in Heaven looking down saying, THANK YOU GOD FOR TAKING ME WHEN YOU DID !

No comments:

Post a Comment