Thursday, March 19, 2020

WHAT'S NEW IN THE NEWS

Who knew the daily paper could be so entertaining !  I'm not a news watcher or a paper reader. I don't even care for magazine articles so usually I depend on remaining "current" in the news by talking with The Man.  This practice dates all the way back to the 46 years I was married to Ger who was the King of Fox News. D is a close runner up but will occasionally turn on the hunting of fishing channel which is at least a break. It's when the men turn on COPS that I have to exit the room.

During our forced vacation at home TV watching has become a major part of our lives as far as entertainment goes.  Since being with me D has discovered the world of Netflix and Prime.  He never knew streaming existed before he met me. Every night is spent searching for new series to follow or a new movie to watch. It's surprising how much crap is out there and I think we have watched about thirty percent of it. But then there are the series that are so good we actually have to watch them a second time . . . Breaking Bad being a prime example.

But the best part of our "self isolated" days are the mornings when we get to go outside in our jammies with a cup of coffee to get the paper that has been delivered to our door. I only subscribe to our Palm Beach Post when D is in Florida because normally I get up and moving as soon as I get out of bed. (Possibly that is because I am getting out of bed at noon but what ever, I don't normally take time for breakfast.) But when the man is here life runs at a different pace and breakfast coffee and a sweet are required every morning. If I'm going to sit down and have breakfast I might as well do it while catching up on the news.  Although the world news is usually rather dull reading I have discovered that the local news is better than television.  Wednesday brings all the wonderful food articles and advertisements and Thursday has . . .  THE POLICE BLOTTER !!!!   OMG . . . There is nothing better for starting your morning with a good laugh. I realize we live in Flor - I - DUH but I seriously can not believe the things that people do. It is a combination of "Cops" and "Comedy Central" all rolled into a couple of pages worth of insanity. I used to enjoy reading this section of our little local paper when I lived in NY but that couldn't even come close to the stuff that goes on down here.

Once I finish a quick check of world and local news my next favorite stop is the Obituaries.  There is some really interesting reading in that section, seeing how old people were and where they came from. Little did I realize I would hit the Mother Load on Tuesday when I opened the paper and saw that Sherman Leslie Tuppen Jr. had died.  (This obituary was as long as War and Peace but much more entertaining.)  Bud, as he was known to family and friends was a "third generation Floridian".  That being the opening sentence of his obituary I had to read on because NO ONE is born in Florida and stays here for THREE generations.  But that was only the beginning of an ENTIRE page telling about Bud and how his grand parents came to Florida, made their living, had families and moved about the state. This was the MOST entertainment I have had in weeks.  I laughed till I cried at some of the things included in this article and would love to know who it was who wrote it. Some of the highlights were that back in 1893 Bud's grand father and grand mother eloped "on horse to Orlando". The family must have loved horses because Bud's dad owned several horses that were rented out to people who needed them until the horses "got diseased from the heat and were lost". From horses the family went on to owning boats that were used for parties for the well to do. (There are 2 paragraphs detailing some of those trips and naming an actress of the early 1900's who partied with them.)
The article tells of Bud's father and mother's life, when they married and all the jobs they held.
Included in the life of Bud is a paragraph telling how when Bud was 14 he "applied for his learners permit to drive but they made a mistake and gave him his permanent  license".

This obituary was GREAT !  Bud should be very proud of who ever wrote it and if the author is available I think they should start writing the screenplay for the movie about Bud's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment