Thursday, July 23, 2020

JULY HEAT

Today is July 23rd . . . Here in Michigan it was a beautiful day . . .74 degrees and sunny with the ever present breeze blowing in off the lake. It was the sort of day that my family and friends in South Florida would KILL for in July.

Yesterday, July 22nd was not as nice as today but by no means was it horrible.  Yesterday the temperature only got up to about 67 and it was cloudy with intermittent showers through out the day. It was the PERFECT day to do nothing ! If I got really energized I could read a book, play some games on my iPad, take a nap, watch some TV . . . all of which I did do at different points of the day. The only down side to a wonderful day of relaxation is that I was dying from the heat while The Man sat in his jeans and flannel shirt with the thermostat cranked up to 80.

There apparently is some correlation in the mind of this man that if the sun is not shining it MUST be COLD !  I don't know where this comes from, maybe from years of living in Alaska and Northern Michigan where the winter days see little to no sun light and the temperatures drop into the minus forties but that is in THE WINTER . . . December, January, February . . .   THIS IS JULY !!!!!!!!!
I don't care if you are living in the Arctic, it is going to be warmer in July and August than it is in January and February.  And no matter how cloudy and rainy it may get you do NOT have to turn the heat on in the house.

Yes, yes, the house is older, it sits out in the open it can get chilly on a rainy day but if that is the case you just close all the windows, put on your sweat pants and sweat shirt and hunker down with a nice cup of hot chocolate. If that fails to toast your buns then turn on the oven and bake some cookies. That is always a win win solution for me.  Oh, wait,  remember we don't use the oven because . . .  I have no idea why so I guess that option is out. (The toaster oven just does not radiate heat like the big oven.)
Another solution is get into the bed and pull up the covers because the woman in the room with you is radiating off enough heat to roast a pig.  My normal body temperature is usually about two hundred degrees hotter than anyone around me and that is not even factoring in those occasional hot flashes that still pop up out of the blue when least expected.

So there I was yesterday, so freaking hot I had to go outside every so often just to keep from passing out. The man kept telling me how "cold" it was and I kept telling him it really wasn't that cold.  I even downloaded the weather app on my phone to show him it was 67 degrees outside but that made no difference at all. Every time he left the room for something I went into Ninja mode again and pushed the thermostat down a couple of degrees. At one point I went out into the parlor, shut the French doors and opened as many windows as I could just to cool down without having to go outside and get wet.

Last night before the man went in to shower he once again cranked up the heat AND turned on his little space heater in the bathroom. When I went in to shower I had to open the bathroom window because it was like walking into a sauna. (I never was a fan of saunas . . . all that moist heat makes me light headed.)  Thankfully when I came out of the bathroom The Man was already in bed so I snuck into the dining room and pushed the heat WAY down.  I am fortunate that in the bedroom there is a window at the head of the bed and it slides open from my side to his.  With the new black out curtains on this window I can reach up and quietly slide it partly open so that I get a cool breeze blowing down on me but The Man feels nothing. Then in the middle of the night when I get up to pee I gently slide the window open just a little more to keep from melting in a puddle of my own sweat.

All this hopefully transpires with out The Man realizing it but I honestly think he is just playing with me to see just how creative I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment