Tuesday, July 7, 2020

THE VIRUS THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED

NO . . . I am not talking about Covid-19 . . .   enough has been said about that stupid virus, instead my "Harry Potter" reference to "He Who Shall Not Be Named" is about a vicious virus that attacked my computer about 2 weeks ago.  I shall not name the virus for fear of it hearing its name and returning with even more of a vengeance than its first attack. But take my word . . . this virus was as nasty and evil as good old Voldemort in the Harry Potter books.

It all began a couple of weeks ago when I went on line to, of all things, write a blog.  Usually when I log into my lap top I get my safari page listing all my favorite web sites. But on this particular day when I opened my computer it didn't open Safari, instead it came up with a blank screen with the name  "S----- B----" flashing off and on in the web page box..  When I tried to click on Safari to get my links it just kept cycling and cycling as if it was downloading something.  Apparently what it was downloading was any of my personal information it could hack.  (So far I have not had any of my accounts attacked but I'm keeping a close eye on them.).

Not knowing what I was dealing with I managed to find ways to get to Netflix, mail and Facebook after much cursing and swearing.  I naturally blamed all this aggravation on The Man's Internet service and just cursed a little more as I fought my way into the sites I wanted.  I WAS smart enough not to open my bank accounts or credit cards while this stupid problem existed. After abo ut four day of this I reached my breaking point and contacted the smartest computer guy I know.  My Son-in-law Steve is a genius with computers and has been called upon on many an occasion to get me out of Cyber Space alive. I HATE being "Lost in Space" ! (Can you even read that line without hearing the theme song from that old show?)

Steve was very gracious and texted me several suggestions of ways to rid my lap top of the virus, all of which were well beyond my capabilities. I had visions of getting into my computer and messing things up so bad that I would have the CIA knocking down my door. I made a half hearted attempt to try some of Steve's suggestions but then just slammed the the damn thing shut and started researching places up here that might be able to fix this problem for me.

Dwayne came up with the name of a company that had worked on his computer about 100 years ago when computers were about the size of your refrigerator. I figured at least the company was reputable so I gave them a call. No Luck !  They apparently were so good that their business had grown to the point of only working on business computer systems. I asked them for a reference and they provided me with three names.

We need to stop here for a minute to establish the fact that Gladstone & Escanaba, Michigan are about the size of your local grocery store. Well, maybe just a little bigger but not really that much. Gladstone is a one traffic light, one Main Street little town with maybe three blocks of shops. That includes the post office, the ice cream shop and the pharmacy. There is a barber shop, one little restaurant, a pizza place and a Chinese restaurant and several bars.  That is about it ! The local grocery store is on a back street as is the hardware store so the possibility of finding a computer repair shop was pretty slim.  But never fear . . . Escanaba is just 15 miles down the road and that is a "BIG" town.  I think Escanaba has two traffic lights and perhaps three blocks of shops along the Main Street. But the really big thing that Escanaba DOES have going for it is the main highway going right past Main Street.  And like all towns in the USA there are strip malls all along the highway. (I use the term "highway" loosely . . . The road has TWO lanes going in each direction so it is big time!).

Anyway . . .  Escanaba had several computer repair shops but only ONE of them called me back. And so I gathered up my computer and off we went to see Andy at UPPC.  Andy turned out to be your typical geek who really was a bit socially inept but a whiz at computers. He had my lap top for three days and wiped it clean of all nastiness that had invaded it. When I went to pick it up yesterday I had visions of having to sell my car to pay for the fix but to my surprise he handed me a bill for $69.
I stood there waiting for page two of the bill but that was it . . . no three hundred dollar bill that I was anticipating, only SIXTY NINE DOLLARS.  I could not believe it.

So here I am today, happy as a little piggy typing away on my computer that is better than new and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment