Wednesday, April 21, 2021

THE PINEAPPLE DID IT !

 When my eyes opened at 6:30 this morning I knew I was in for trouble.  I had a wonderful night's sleep, which is rare these days because my brain is working over time preparing for the pending return to Michigan. I don't want to go but have no choice.  I keep telling myself I am with The Man because this is God's will but I do not have to like it. 

The thoughts of spending five months away from my home, family and Florida friends is weighing heavily on me.  During the day my thoughts are consumed with packing and planning and preparation for leaving. During the night random thoughts of what needs to be done before I leave here  keep popping into my already over loaded brain.  It is typical behavior for me and I know that as soon as I settle in up in MI I will be content with the beautiful weather and surroundings.  I WILL be OK.

This morning I woke up in the dark, checked the clock to see that it was only 6:30, staggered out of bed to make a potty stop and because I wasn't totally awake I returned to bed. I pulled up the covers and was ready to keep my brain shut down so I could get a couple of hours more sleep when a thought wormed it's way into my brain.  

MY PINEAPPLES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!          

Two years ago I decided I wanted to grow another pineapple. When I had my house down here I had grown three pineapple plants in my garden and was rewarded with three of the sweetest, juiciest, most delicious pineapples that I have ever eaten.  When I sold the house I gave the plants to my friend Theresa and she continued to reap the benefits of Florida's warm weather and sunny skies.  

Side note . . . A pineapple plant will only produce ONE pineapple !  After that one pineapple is grown the plant then starts growing new shoots which are then planted and they in turn each produce ONE pineapple. It takes about 2 years for a pineapple plant to produce a fruit. No wonder pineapples are so expensive.

Any way . . .  I now have TWO full blown pineapple plants in my little garden and BOTH of them have pineapples growing in the center of them.  We, Kaelin and Finn and I, discovered the beginnings of the fruit last fall when I returned from MI and were so excited!  We have watched them grow all winter and each time I looked at them I KNEW EXACTLY what was going to happen.  

I leave here in one week  . . .  not only will I be leaving my home and family I will be leaving my two ALMOST ripe pineapples that I grew from nothing.  I will be gone, they will remain.  I can't pick them early, they need to finish ripening on the plant.  I will have to leave them here for my grand kids to pick and enjoy.

THAT is what kept me awake at six o'clock this morning.  I was upset about not getting to share the pineapples with my grand kids after we had nurtured them all winter.  I should be happy that the kids will get to enjoy the fruit but I am really wanting to share it with them while I am here. 

What a nut case I have become !  The fact that I am in tears over a PINEAPPLE is just insane but then again if it wasn't the pineapple it would have been something else keeping me awake this week before we leave.  


No comments:

Post a Comment