Friday, August 14, 2009

Ouch !

It was only a matter of time. I spent 2 weeks celebrating husband's 70th birthday with all of the family coming and going. 2 weeks with the grand kids, who are better than grand. (Kaelin 1 and Abby 4) We partied and played, swam and swayed to the rhythms of South Florida. Sea breezes and hot summer days filled with incredible joy. But now it's time to pay for it all.
Woke up this morning feeling GOOD ~ that should be the first warning of trouble brewing. I actually said to myself, "wow, my back feels good today." Then I went to get the wash out of the dryer and all those good vibes blew up in one stabbing pain in my lower back. As soon as I bent down I knew it was an "OH S__t' moment. My plans of going to Curves and running some errands evaporated and were replaced by a stop at the chiropractor and an afternoon of lying on my back on an ice pack or heating pad, depending on which 20 min. cycle I am on.
It seems that my lower back is my Achilles heel. Almost 33 years ago I bent over my daughter's crib and experienced back pain for the first time. Child birth has nothing on this. Been there, done that, 3 times no less. Yeh, yeh . . . child birth is a bitch but there are happy drugs if you care to partake, you know that you get a break between contractions where you can move. It's over in a couple of hours and you get that amazing gift of a child as a bonus prize for enduring the pain. There is no up side to back pain, just varying degrees of of pain and duration. Thankfully, I am not in a major, all out, "KILL ME NOW" episode. Just a run of the mill, "Damn, I really need to loose some weight and stretch more" event. Hopefully with another visit to THE WITCH DOCTOR, (my husband's name for the doc, not mine), some much appreciated down time (that includes writing on my blog and watching lots of HBO movies), and just plain slowing down for a couple of days, I should be up and running to Long Island next week to spend a couple of days with my best buds. (Even if I am doubled over in pain, I'm going. Nothing is getting in the way of "The Girls" get together.) Actually this back pain could be sympathy pains for Sharon who just had eye surgery and had to sit or lay FACE DOWN for 7 days. Now that is some suffering time for a person with a bad back. So MY little episode shall pass with any and all pain offered up to God. Maybe He can use it for some good.

No comments:

Post a Comment