Saturday, May 29, 2010

The GUNNAS

Being from Brooklyn Husband has his own language. His absolute favorite word is "GUNNA", as in "I'm gunna fix that today." or "I'm gunna get my hair cut tomorrow".
To those of us not from Brooklyn this all translates to "I AM GOING TO . . . ".
Now the "gunnas" usually never actually happen. They are put out there a few hundred times a day but they very seldom materialize. I guess just by saying them we are getting closer to actual action but I never hold my breath when "gunna" is spoken.
Gunnas are very closely related to the "DIDJAS". Where the gunnas are spoken by husband with the action supposedly coming from him the "didjas" are meant for me. As in "'Didja' get any milk while you were out?" Or "'Didja' call the doctor's office to make an appointment for me?" (That statement is so wrong on so many levels!)
Usually if left alone long enough the "gunnas" turn into "didjas". I haven't really figured out how that manages to happen but it is happening so much more over these last few weeks that I think there must be a great deal of procrastination in the area. Three weeks ago husband had a whole list of "gunnas" and now that list has turned into "didjas" right before my eyes.
At this rate I am "gunna" get myself a gunna and shoot somebody right in his "didja" !

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha ha!!!! This is fantastic! I'm laughing hysterically!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds "sorta" like what goes on here. Only the man of this house usually says, "We've got to....” For example, "We've got to call the plumber" or "We've got to find someone to pave the driveway" or "We've got to get some more vermouth.”
    Well, funny thing, but somehow the use of the royal "We" always ends up as a "didja" in this house. The only difference is, it was never preceded by a "gunna".

    ReplyDelete