Sunday, August 6, 2017

E MOE GEEEEEEEEEEE

I took Kaelin and Finn to the movies yesterday to see the EMOJI movie, their choice not mine. but any chance to spend time with these guys is quality time so what the hey! I must say I learned a lot about my iphone from this silly movie.  It actually taught me about the workings of my phone and how to navigate the different apps and what some of them are actually are for.   Go figure!
Here I am, Grand Ma, 72 years old, living in this high tech world and thinking I am doing OK keeping up with the technology and I go to a movie for kids and realize I haven't got a clue as to what is going on !  (Well to be perfectly honest I did have a clue when I was with Abby and she was playing with my phone and doing all sorts of things with it that I had NEVER seen before or realized were even available or possible.) There is nothing like a pre-teen to make you feel like the dinosaur that you are.
Back to the movie. . .  I read the reviews before taking the kids and thought to myself, "This is going to be a snoozer!". I love kid movies and will spend hours with the kids watching the series of Ice Age movies or Night at The Museum. Cartoon movies are great and I really enjoyed the Secret Lives of Pets and am looking forward to going to see "Nut Job 2" which will hit the theaters some time next week or the week after. But this Emoji movie about the little pictures that you can tag onto your text messages on your phone . . . Seriously ?  A whole 90 minutes of this has got to be boring as hell. But for the kids we will do just about anything. So off we go into the depths of cineplex 16, down the corridor to the very last theater, (this is NOT a good sign that this is a popular top rated show) and up to our seats in the very top row where we can look down on the four or five other families who are dumb enough to have gotten suckered into paying $20 to sit and watch a movie about an iPhone.
SURPRISE   SURPRISE   SURPRISE   !!!!   as Barney Fife used to say, this is one cute movie that has a few good laughs in it and also, as I mentioned before, gives us dinosaurs some insight into just what is going on inside this phone thingy that we all have.
Maybe I just enjoyed the movie so much because I identified with the main character, Gene, who is an emoji who is ALWAYS supposed to express ONE emotion but just can't do that.  Like me, Gene is all over the map with his emotions and depending on the circumstances he expresses himself accordingly.  Finally!  I have found someone I can relate to. To bad it is a cartoon character in a kids movie that Finn didn't have a clue as to what was going on in. Poor Finn, and I think perhaps even Kaelin to a degree, since they don't use iPhones regularly, a lot of the humor and action was lost on them when the characters were moving around the "wall paper" and in and out of the different apps. HELL, I was having trouble keeping up.
But through it all Gene was right there expressing himself exactly as I would have been. Trying to figure it all out and never giving up. Way to go Gene !!

No comments:

Post a Comment