Saturday, June 24, 2023

CURSE OF THE HAPPY GRILL

 If you read my last blog you will know I was having issues with the electric grill that I purchased.  The issue wasn't with the actual grill, it was with the "Happy Grill" company. I have yet to figure out exactly who or what this company is and where they are located.  One address was California but the address on the shipping label was Illinois. After the incident yesterday I think Happy Grill comes from some little dark, dank shop in the bowels of Voodoo country, perhaps some part of New Orleans or Baton Rouge. 

What ever city houses this company I am sure the Happy Grill employees practice the dark arts. I picture a wrinkled old woman hunched over a boiling pot of spider legs and frog eyes cackling as she stirs the brew that will then be sprinkled on the next grill that some unsuspecting idiot buys. Someone like me.

After finally getting the prepaid shipping label from the Happy Grill company I taped it on the box and planned to set off to the UPS store.  The box was large, (as I noted in my previous blog). and it was HEAVY.  Not so heavy that I couldn't carry it but heavier than something I should be lifting and carrying. The box was also awkward to handle. It was just large enough that I couldn't get my arms around it so I had to prop it up on my hip, (good thing I have the hips that I do), and hold on to it as to not drop it on my foot. I managed to wrestle it down the steps of the house and on to the back seat of the car. 

(The Man would gladly do this for me but he can't because of his oxygen tank and hoses. It was bad enough that I was cursed with this grill without The Man dropping dead on me.)

So now I have the stupid grill in the back seat of the car ready to make the trip into town.  The Man was driving and we were both in great moods.  We stopped at the gas station, the post office, the farm store and  a few other places before finally arriving at the UPS store. Being the marvelously organized person that I am I had put my little shopping cart in the car so that when we got to UPS I could pull the box out of the car and balance it on top of the cart in order to wheel it into the store. (I had visions of trying to hold the box and open the door of the store without killing myself or destroying the grill or the door. So I planned ahead.)

At the UPS store I get out of the car, get the cart out of the back and wheel it around to the side of the car. Being a mini van I can slide the side door open and just reach in to grab the box.  EASY PEASY  !!!!  Except that as I grab the Happy Grill box and lift it to place it on top of the cart it starts to slip out of my hands, I fumble it for a second or two, it hits the cart which then starts rolling across the parking lot as the LARGE, HEAVY, box crashes into my shin and rakes itself down my leg landing at my feet. 

Remember when you were a kid and really wanted to hurt someone you kicked them in the shin? Or when you are wandering around in the dark at 2 in the morning and you bash your shin into the step stool that you left in the middle of the kitchen?  Remember that pain ?  Well that is what The Happy Grill box did to me. PAIN !! 

I grabbed the cart to keep it from getting too far, reached down and picked up the damn box and then checked to see if there was blood.  Wonder of wonders the box did not break the skin on my leg but it did leave a 6 inch scrape which immediately turned all sorts of black, blue and purple. (All of this transpired within 3 feet of The Man but he was totally oblivious to it all.). I DO think they guy in the store must have seen some of the parking lot adventures because as soon as I got to the door the UPS guy opened the door and grabbed the box. ( I did have visions of getting to the counter in the store only to find that the shipping label was not prepaid but it was.)  

As I waved adieu to Happy Grill and limped back out to the car I cursed every person who worked for the Happy Grill company. I swear the damn thing was evil !


No comments:

Post a Comment